Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,704 Posts
FYI--sevearl years ago on another forum I saw pics of someone's truck who had installed (with minor drilling and bolts) a 2nd gen air dam underneath his 3rd gen air dam. The lines matched perfectly and he got the front of his truck another 6" closed off to the ground. It looked a little different, but not strange or bad at all as the lines matched up so well!!

While I have not done this yet, I still want to do this to my truck since a 2nd get air dam is less then $50.

It is part # 15 on this page--

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

· Registered
2,704 Posts
LOL...That IS hard to see. Is that a 2nd gen air dam??

IIRC, the 2nd gen air dam I saw was bolted directly to and below the oem 3rd gen air dam, also hung down about 6", and looked really good.

· Registered
2,704 Posts
Just a thought, but for $50 you may want to try the 2nd gen air dam instead...it sits at the front of the truck, underneath the 3rd gen air dam, and thus will actually add to the aerodynamics of the truck.

Link to air dam at LMC was in my first post here.

· Registered
2,704 Posts
DEFINITELY post a pic if you do decide to do it...I can't seem to find the original thread that showed this mod and the pic is likely gone anyway due to the Photobucket scam.

· Registered
2,704 Posts
Seafish, do you have a pic of your setup and how you mounted it? I’d be interested in seeing how you did it. Thanks.
As I noted earlier, I have not yet done this and still cannot find the thread of the guy who did, That being said, it was a simple bolt on mod, with the caveat being that you had to drill the holes on the bottom lip of the oem 3rd gen air dam that lined up with the oem holes on the top of the 2nd gen air dam.

· Registered
2,704 Posts

· Registered
2,704 Posts
Sheet metal trim pieces... does anyone know if Napa sells that stuff?

Looking to find a piece to block off the area between the bed & cab and then a different style piece to provide some blockage under the front grille. I looked at this today and it appears a piece can be attached to the upper bumper plastic just under the grille. Find the right style and then that area is sealed off. It would also be good to find a seal for under the headlamps.
I would highly recommend using self adhesive CCF gaskets in different thicknesses for the different areas you want to close off, particularly the cab/bed space, as you would NOT want any sheet metal scratching paint as the bed and cab move differently from each other while driving. The CCF tended to be either black or dark grey and would also not be very noticeable in those spaces.

· Registered
2,704 Posts
I like that look. I’m thinking I’m gonna do this mod. Thanks for the info seafish and thanks to Steve for finding the pics and link.
I think it is pretty much a no brainer unless you do a lot of off-roading!!!

I'll get around to it one of these days (i.e. years...LOL!!!)
ALSO, I will use stainless bolts and ny-lock nuts to do it.

· Registered
2,704 Posts
So here starts my contribution for further MPG through aero mods. I started the belly pan and underplating a few weeks ago, and here is my progress so far.
NICE work ... Looking REALLY good!!!

ALSO NICE to see one of Paul's Defiant steering box stabilizers/belly pans still in use !!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts