Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
891 Posts
I’ve also thought about doing the cab to bed seal and also the additional front air dam on the 4wd truck. What are your thoughts on a rear roll pan, do you think that’s acting like a parachute? My 2wd has one and I’d like to seal it off so air doesn’t become trapped there also. Eager to see your results. Come spring time I’ll build an air dam when it gets warmer out. Lots of interesting stuff on ecomodder.

· Premium Member
891 Posts
Just a thought, but for $50 you may want to try the 2nd gen air dam instead...it sits at the front of the truck, underneath the 3rd gen air dam, and thus will actually add to the aerodynamics of the truck.

Link to air dam at LMC was in my first post here.
Seafish, do you have a pic of your setup and how you mounted it? I’d be interested in seeing how you did it. Thanks.

· Premium Member
891 Posts
I like that look. I’m thinking I’m gonna do this mod. Thanks for the info seafish and thanks to Steve for finding the pics and link.

· Premium Member
891 Posts
Maybe a weatherstrip type stuff like you’re showing Steve but with an adhesive backing. The new rams have it. Next time I have one in the shop I’ll lookup the part number.

· Premium Member
891 Posts
Steve, how about a small strip at the leading edge of the wheel well? Search “top fuel funny car aero” and look thru the images and you’ll see the small strip they put in front of the front wheel opening. It’s like a small deflector.

Reactions: steve05ram360

· Premium Member
891 Posts
not having much luck finding any pics (travel day) but i understand what your saying... a small extension may make the wind curtain work better. i will experiment with it. also looking at venting the front wheel wells

edit: the small extension may have limited impact because of the wake off the front bumper and our significantly lower speeds. worth checking out...
I emailed you a pic earlier.

· Premium Member
891 Posts
I also ordered the second gen airdam this weekend. I’ve looked at doing some aero mods but it’s tough to do and not make it look stupid. I suppose some plastic sheeting like you’re proposing up front would be out of plain sight and maybe some between the rocker panels and frame rail would do some good too as would the seal between the cab and bed. I’ll be trying those out when it gets warmer.

· Premium Member
891 Posts
i think though the first round may be the 2nd version of the air dam and an air dam under the trans mount. curious to see how that setup would work.[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of the trans mounted air dam. How big are you thinking of making it?

· Premium Member
891 Posts
what about some of the other suggestions? bed seal, rear tire spats etc? any plans for those?[/QUOTE]

In regards to the wheel spats like the ones I emailed you on the funny car, I personally know a GM engineer and he’s interested in these aero mods and communicates with the engineers in the aero dept and keeping air out of the wheel openings is huge. He has a zr1 vette and that has wheel spats on the front and rear. I’m going to attempt building some for my 4wd truck along with bed seals and I’ve already purchased the 2nd gen air dam but haven’t installed it yet. Even my buddy said that aero stuff is still somewhat of mysterious and even with their wind tunnels there’s lots of experimenting going on. Also they’re now working on trying to increase air pressure at the rear of the vehicle. They’ve spent large amounts of money on rear spoilers on the Tahoe to do just that he told me. Interesting to speak with him.

· Premium Member
891 Posts
The gm trucks have that air spat in front of the rear wheel and parallel to the ground, I’m talking about making one that’s on the leading edge of the fender opening going partway up on the front and rear fenders like the funny car pic. Probably only do it to test tho as I probably won’t like the looks. He liked the front air dam idea too and your crossmember air dam too, I may try that too. I’d love to have a wind tunnel test too. He said he can take a truck model in his computer and do different things to it aero-wise to see the results but obviously now a dodge truck.

· Premium Member
891 Posts
Looks like a nice small package... however, looking at their website, no mounts, accessories etc... In getting a gopro, the older models are cheap on CL, tossing it under the truck, I'd have no problem with that. What would be nice though is a remote. Gopro also has an app that allows higher end models to view live video on the fly... to bad it doesnt work (according to all the reviews I read).

edit: Looks like the sold out version has those mount options...
I have an app that I can watch my GoPro in real time on my phone or iPad and it works well I thought. My GoPro is a hero3?

· Premium Member
891 Posts
Trip is coming up in less than 2 weeks and it’s the exact same trip as I did last year and I hope to be able to duplicate it as much as I can. I also went to an electric fan so I’m hoping to see a significant change. I actually like the look of the second gen air dam too.

· Premium Member
891 Posts
The additional air dam covered up a significant amount of front axle but there’s still a wee bit of front diff sticking down below it. I would imagine it should help a little.

· Premium Member
891 Posts
actually what would help and help out a lot with those diffs would be to fab up a cover for the axle tubes that is teardrop shaped. The turbulence behind the tubes causes drag, adding a teardrop shape to it would reduce drag

And I have no idea why the big 3 have not made this a design requirement yet... Would work on solid axles only tho
My engineer buddy mentioned that, they must be working on it.

· Premium Member
891 Posts
So that central axle disconnect crap is actually for aero improvements?
I was wondering why they're so fond of adding stuff to the non-diff end of axles.
Plus it’s cheaper to do an axle disconnect rather than hubs on each side.

· Premium Member
891 Posts
Well, I think the real reason is that people are too fat, lazy, and possibly also stupid, to handle locking hubs these days.

Remember how leaving one hub locked was considered a real sin? Now the factory does it for us, and suddenly it's a great system.
Haha yes it was a sin! Very true on the laziness, I put spyntecs on mine 2years ago when one of my wheel bearings gave up the ghost.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

· Premium Member
891 Posts
Adding link to a study on truck aero configurations... Study looks like it could have been written for a 3rd gen ram. Did you know our trucks are the only "aero" shaped trucks back then? Look at a side view of the cab (4th gen trucks have this as well), the back of the cab slopes slightly. If you extended that out it would start to form a tear drop shape. Same with the bed of the truck, it is also not square and tapers off the farther back it goes.

If you look at the newer trucks you'll see they are all starting to take that shape (not sure of the bed but the cab for sure). The newer Toyota Tundras definitely have taken on that shape.

Tailgate spoiler... If your not a fan not much can be said however it does aid in the airflow off the back of the truck. Look at all the newer tailgate designs...

Truck aero study
http://people.cst.cmich.edu/yelam1k/...7-155-1-DR.pdf

Link not working for me Steve.

· Premium Member
891 Posts
Kinda cool to see that drag coefficient is higher at lower speeds.

· Premium Member
891 Posts
With no cover over the bed, you should not have any cab vacuum. You could get some at lower speeds maybe but it won't be anything to have any real effect on MPG or be anything you could do much about. Best to focus on streamlining the front of the truck and closing any gaps in the body panels.

If you have ever looked at them, you will note that most European vehicles have a full undercarriage panel that is mostly seamless and smooth. On a truck it's borderline impossible to do this with the axles, DS and numerous other large moving parts that are under there. If one could somehow find a way to cover up some areas and smooth out others, that would yield good results.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Steve, weren’t you attempting to do this at the front in between the 2 air dams?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts