·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Reactions: DogramTD

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Now im looking at BORA hub centric wheel spacers trying to determine the largest spacer (3/8", 1/2"...) I can place behind the stock wheel without piloting the spacer to the hub.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Silly me. I completely forgot that the changes in scrub radius, extra leverage, etc. doesn't go into effect until two inches from stock. Sorry 'bout that.
There you go again stating the obvious. (y)

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I’ve changed so many ball joints and wheel bearings on trucks with no lift and stock wheels/tires at pre-mature rates anyways. Maybe the offset is too high from the factory? Ha.
It is interesting, that Ram went from a +35 mm offset on the 2010-2013 wheels to a +48 offset on the 2014+ wheels. I for one, am not a fan of my wheels being 2” inside the wheel wells. It just looks terrible.

Reactions: DogramTD and Ckster

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get nervous with lug centric wheels ever since my lug studs snapped with aftermarket wheels. I know there are alot of wheels out there in that configuration, but hub and lug centric is critical for me now, especially carry a slide in camper.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Stock offset, save your front end (and yourself) from a life of misery. Pick your tires then the wheels since the tire size will dictate the wheel size. Idiotic to do it the other way around. That being said 1) you can't tell what they are anyway when they're spinning so what difference does it make and 2) I sure as hell can't see 'em from behind the steering wheel.
3) If you can't make up your mind narrow it down to 2 choices, then buy those and put 2 on 1 side and 2 on the other side. ;) can't see both sides of the truck at the same time can ya? ;)
(up to the end of part 2 this was serious, #3 was sarcasm for those that have never experienced it before)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also agree the stock ones look great, but if you must and those are the only options, I’d go with the 842s.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I agree with everyone’s opinion that the lower the offset, the higher chance of wheel bearing/ ball joint issues. However, trucks used to have 0 offset to +15. They keep getting more and more positive. I am of the mind that a positive +18 up to a +48(stock) will have no negative impact on the front end.

I know they are different trucks, but my 2013 was babied. Never off-road, no dirt roads, stock wheels and tires until 39,000 miles, at which point it kept the stock wheels and 285/70/17 were added.
I had to change those ball joints at 45,000.

my 1999 super duty was lifted at 10k, with wide wheels and tires. Those ball joints made it to 140k....

no one is talking about doing 20x12’s with -44 wheels. Those I think would destroy a front end in a jiffy.

Reactions: DogramTD

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Stock offset, save your front end (and yourself) from a life of misery. Pick your tires then the wheels since the tire size will dictate the wheel size. Idiotic to do it the other way around. That being said 1) you can't tell what they are anyway when they're spinning so what difference does it make and 2) I sure as hell can't see 'em from behind the steering wheel.
3) If you can't make up your mind narrow it down to 2 choices, then buy those and put 2 on 1 side and 2 on the other side. ;) can't see both sides of the truck at the same time can ya? ;)
(up to the end of part 2 this was serious, #3 was sarcasm for those that have never experienced it before)
Haha! I’ll consider that wheel advice but probably not. Well at 42 years old and 4 of these trucks over the last 17 years, I’ve never had a problem with any of my trucks running +18 offset with the stock or as close to stock as possible size tires. Never had a ball joint, track bar, tie rod end or death wobble issue and I pull a 20k trailer...so I think I’ve been doing it right

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
I agree with everyone’s opinion that the lower the offset, the higher chance of wheel bearing/ ball joint issues. However, trucks used to have 0 offset to +15. They keep getting more and more positive. I am of the mind that a positive +18 up to a +48(stock) will have no negative impact on the front end.
Lots of things factor in here, or should. Even if you keep everything else the same but change the tire height, it will impact the scrub radius, for example. And heavier wheels and/or tires are never kind to any of a vehicle's components.

I could go on for pages, but you get the idea. When changing something, it can really pay off to take everything into consideration. What is the correct offset for one tire may not be even close for another.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My opinion is they all look like the same cookie cutter wheels all the oilfield trash around here run on their bro-dozers. Around here running stock wheels makes you a lot more unique than those would.

I actually think those stock wheels look great, as does the whole truck, but we already established the value of opinions! ;)

It's your truck and your money, go with what makes you happy and don't get caught up on opinions that differ from yours (like mine for example)
I'm a chrome guy, when I bought my truck in 2008, it had black wheels on a silver body. I think that looks like crap, if I wanted black, I would have painted the whole truck egg shell black totally. Some like that sort of thing, others wrap in camo. I kept the body original chrome all i could, stock 22 chrome wheels. All terrain tires. Yho a 4x4, my Toyota would put it to shame especially since it has 4ft links on all four and no way could my dodge no matter what you did be able to follow it, way to big. I get compliments on my dodge because its the only single wheel 3500 diesel in this town. To me its my rolls royce since I added every widget I could to the inside, on top of the infinity system i retrofitted to push 10's and country.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Lots of things factor in here, or should. Even if you keep everything else the same but change the tire height, it will impact the scrub radius, for example. And heavier wheels and/or tires are never kind to any of a vehicle's components.

I could go on for pages, but you get the idea. When changing something, it can really pay off to take everything into consideration. What is the correct offset for one tire may not be even close for another.
Well, I certainly agree with the weight issue. That is the main reason I am switching my wheels. If I had the factory aluminum wheels, I probably wouldn’t change them. Mine are steel, and very heavy. My new wheels and larger tires will weigh less than the factory wheel and tire setup.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Here's a new addition to the choices

Reactions: SGT-RAM

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Here's a new addition to the choices
I do like those, the only thing is I can’t picture them on your truck. You have a classy looking truck, and it kinda needs classy wheels.

now if you had a bright red tradesman hillbilly rig like mine. You could mount any ugly old wheel on it and no one would judge.

I really wish they still made the wheels I had on my Ford.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I do like those, the only thing is I can’t picture them on your truck. You have a classy looking truck, and it kinda needs classy wheels.

now if you had a bright red tradesman hillbilly rig like mine. You could mount any ugly old wheel on it and no one would judge.
🤣 Thanks for the honest feedback. My wife said she thinks I'm getting old with that choice too

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
🤣 Thanks for the honest feedback. My wife said she thinks I'm getting old with that choice too
They may look great on there, I don’t know. I just can’t picture it.

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
They may look great on there, I don’t know. I just can’t picture it.
C'mon, Matt. They just need to be accompanied by an 8-inch stack in the bed for the full effect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How about these in an 18". Insanely high load capacity. 15% off now also. Much cheaper tires with a better ride. 305 | NV HD | Matte Black
Ok, so probably the worst part about a new truck is selecting the style of the new wheels for personalization...I have spent more money in the hours researching and comparing than I the wheels are even worth (ugh). I know what opinions are like (everyone's got em) but I'm looking for yours (opinion that is).

I went with method NV 305 in matte black. I love them. I think they’re similar look to what you’re looking at. Been very happy with them. Running 295/70-18 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W. I couldn’t be happier. Run up to 80 PSI, awesome traction in anything, very low road noise, look great, ride nice, and I’ve got about 10k on them with little apparent wear. Not that you have to buy from there but check out custom offsets website. I guarantee you can find your exact truck with pictures of many combos including what you’re looking at.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts