Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so probably the worst part about a new truck is selecting the style of the new wheels for personalization...I have spent more money in the hours researching and comparing than I the wheels are even worth (ugh). I know what opinions are like (everyone's got em) but I'm looking for yours (opinion that is).

2020 Ram 3500 Limited in granite crystal. I'm going with 20x9 +18 offset and 295/60-20 Toyo Open Country ATII tires

And the rim choices are (1, 2, or 3)

-XD842 Snare (Black with grey tint [no red in the center cap])

Or XD829 Hoss II Gloss black
OR
Satin black with dark tint spoke accents

Thanks for your input!

And for comparison, this was my '13 ram 3500 I just sold with XD795 Hoss 20x9 with the same tires

·
Registered
435 Posts
My opinion is they all look like the same cookie cutter wheels all the oilfield trash around here run on their bro-dozers. Around here running stock wheels makes you a lot more unique than those would.

I actually think those stock wheels look great, as does the whole truck, but we already established the value of opinions! ;)

It's your truck and your money, go with what makes you happy and don't get caught up on opinions that differ from yours (like mine for example)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My opinion is they all look like the same cookie cutter wheels all the oilfield trash around here run on their bro-dozers. Around here running stock wheels makes you a lot more unique than those would.

I actually think those stock wheels look great, as does the whole truck, but we already established the value of opinions! ;)

It's your truck and your money, go with what makes you happy and don't get caught up on opinions that differ from yours (like mine for example)
These are the opinions I appreciate 🤣.You'reprobably right, same type of wheel; however, they stay under the fenders, don’t have rubber bands for tires, it’s not lifted, the tow mirrors stay in when not towing, it doesn’t have a garbage can for an exhaust tip, and pulls a 20k# trailer.

I don’t mind the stock wheels, I just don’t like how they are tucked in so much and I don’t want to put spacers on it

·
Registered
435 Posts
These are the opinions I appreciate 🤣.You'reprobably right, same type of wheel; however, they stay under the fenders, don’t have rubber bands for tires, it’s not lifted, the tow mirrors stay in when not towing, it doesn’t have a garbage can for an exhaust tip, and pulls a 20k# trailer.

I don’t mind the stock wheels, I just don’t like how they are tucked in so much and I don’t want to put spacers on it
I hope you know I wasn't bashing you, just honest opinion mixed with a bit of good natured ribbing. The truck is beautiful though, enjoy.

I'm just too stuck in the past to appreciate the new style of wheels. It makes me realize how my Dad felt about my style choices 30 years ago when I was a teen!

·
Registered
10,687 Posts
You can get stock 18's also that hug the body and eliminate the rubber band tire look. I might have gone that way but the built in hub covers would require boring out all four because I have Warn's. I've read that the stock 18's up are built in WuHan. If you like firepit type wheels that stick out go to Florida's Atlantic coast. 20-22's with rubber band tires.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,237 Posts
all of those are too busy. it's hard to pick a nice wheel for these trucks. I would be running a stock set of laramie wheels if they got out of the fender well.

super nice tractor, good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
85 Posts

X2. I prefer the stock limited wheel you have. I’m sticking with stock and putting a slightly more aggressive large tire on them.

But, I’m prolly one of the few who likes these trucks in stock form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about these in an 18". Insanely high load capacity. 15% off now also. Much cheaper tires with a better ride. 305 | NV HD | Matte Black
OEM is 20", I want to stick with that. I don't particularly care for the gold bolts either...methods are nice wheels though

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope you know I wasn't bashing you, just honest opinion mixed with a bit of good natured ribbing. The truck is beautiful though, enjoy.

I'm just too stuck in the past to appreciate the new style of wheels. It makes me realize how my Dad felt about my style choices 30 years ago when I was a teen!
No, I get it; 21 years military, I can take some good (and bad) natured ribbing. I lived in Cheyenne for a while, I know the "oil field trash" and "Bro-dozers" you speak of, but really those are everywhere you go. I don't care for that look either, never have; I need my truck to be functional. I too was a teenager 30 years ago, but I still enjoy styling and personalizing my vehicles...I have somewhat of an emotional attachment to them. Go to any car show, the demographics are typically between 40-70 years of age; no stock wheels...you only find those in car lots these days.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But your wheel bearings and front end geometry sure like the stock wheels.
The bearings, geometry, and steering components are not going to notice a 1" offset from stock

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
If I had your factory wheels, I would leave them stock. 2 years ago when I bought new wheels for my old ford, they had some attractive options. Not now. Now the wheels they make are just a competition for the ugliest wheel.

That being said, my ugly new wheels (18x9, et 18) and 295/70/18 tires should be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you're gonna go with a black wheel then I feel like there's no place for your chrome emblem bits and grill. If you're gonna go with a machine faced aluminum wheel then I think chrome can work. Just for full disclosure, I ran the stock wheel and one size larger tire on my 07 to the day I traded it. The dealer loved the stock appearance.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so probably the worst part about a new truck is selecting the style of the new wheels for personalization...I have spent more money in the hours researching and comparing than I the wheels are even worth (ugh). I know what opinions are like (everyone's got em) but I'm looking for yours (opinion that is).

2020 Ram 3500 Limited in granite crystal. I'm going with 20x9 +18 offset and 295/60-20 Toyo Open Country ATII tires

View attachment 911125

And the rim choices are (1, 2, or 3)

-XD842 Snare (Black with grey tint [no red in the center cap])
View attachment 911126

Or XD829 Hoss II Gloss black
OR
Satin black with dark tint spoke accents
View attachment 911127 View attachment 911128

Thanks for your input!

And for comparison, this was my '13 ram 3500 I just sold with XD795 Hoss 20x9 with the same tires
View attachment 911129
If I had your factory wheels, I would leave them stock. 2 years ago when I bought new wheels for my old ford, they had some attractive options. Not now. Now the wheels they make are just a competition for the ugliest wheel.

That being said, my ugly new wheels (18x9, et 18) and 295/70/18 tires should be here tomorrow.
I agree. This is why I have spent so many hours looking for the best of the worst.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you're gonna go with a black wheel then I feel like there's no place for you chrome emblem bits and grill. If you're gonna go with a machine faced aluminum wheel then I think chrome can work.
Thanks for your input. This is why I was leaning more towards the 842 Snare. They are a tinted machined look...somewhere in between black and chrome

·
Registered
14,471 Posts
The bearings, geometry, and steering components are not going to notice a 1" offset from stock
Silly me. I completely forgot that the changes in scrub radius, extra leverage, etc. doesn't go into effect until two inches from stock. Sorry 'bout that.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts