Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
35 miles from home with 30 foot trailer hooked up behind my f700. Number 2 injector line broke. Can I drive it broken or can I block that line off or can it be welded good enough to get home?

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Get it towed and buy a new line. Relatively inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 56Cummins

·
Registered
600 Posts
Where are you located? If near Tacoma Washington, I could help tow your trailer for you.
The fuel spilling out of that broken line will make a huge mess, spilling fuel all over the exhaust side of the engine bay.
I would not block it off. The hydraulic lock will likely damage the injection pump.
as said above, get it towed home, the replace the line.

Reactions: jkidd

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
You can't block the line and run the engine. The injection pump is positive displacement so fluid will have to go somewhere, either the line/ plug would break or the injection pump would break if you tried running it with a line blocked.
In an absolute worse case, you could run the broken line into some type of catch can to contain the fuel and run the engine. But you're only 35 miles from home, it'd be a lot smarter to just get it towed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have spare lines at the house. If I can get my lazy kids up I'll have them run them out, if not not I'll catch a ride home from work and get them myself. At least I have a trailer to load my return vehicle on! Second line that broke by the way, less than 100 miles ago.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first one was the number 1 line. It broke close to the pump. The second one was number 2 and broke close to the injector.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Do you have all injector line clamps? They help minimize the vibrations.

Reactions: 56Cummins

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The first set that was on the truck..No. The replacement set I put on that also broke yes,but these were from an engine I bought that the previous owner had bent to remove the injectors without taking the lines off the pump.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Geno’s garage sells individual lines. The clamps can be purchased from various places. Google popped up Pure Diesel Power as the top search result. They’re fairly priced and most likely OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts