Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i'm starting to look for some new tires since i will be needing them in a couple of months, maybe 3. I have narrowed my selection down to 4 different tires. Before i list them, here are my thoughts.

I really prefer the 285/75/17 size in an E rating. I'm currently running that size in the Nitto Terra Grappler. It has been a great tire, other than the mileage i will get out of them. (35k) The problem with that size is, there is very little selection. It's basicly either those, or the Toyo AT's in that size. My truck is a daily driver, and we haul our 10k fiver around for 6-7 months out of the year. I really want to stick with an AT type tread and not a strictly highway tread. Here are my choices and my thoughts about each one.

1. BFG AT 315/70/17 D -- Would love to try this tire out. It's my favorite, but i really dont want to go up to the 315 size, and....this tire only comes in a "d" rating. Except for the 285/70/17, which would be stepping down in size and i dont want to do that. I know its the same weight rating at 3195, but i've read several posts on here where some say it matters and some say it dont.

2. Toyo AT 285/75/17 E --Talked to tire direct today and they say tire is on national backorder. Probably wont be available for 45-60 days, and then when it does it will incur a significant price increase.

3. Toyo MT 285/75/17 E -- Same as Toyo AT. Very frustrating....

4. Hankook Dynapro AT 315/70/17 D -- Same concerns as the BFG's with the weight rating.:confused013:

I guess i could always go back with the Nitto's, but i think they are on back order too. :banghead::banghead:

Any thoughts, because my head is spinning. :S:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Michelin M/S 2, Copper ATR

·
Registered
268 Posts
Nitto Dura grappler 285 75 17

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michelin M/S 2, Copper ATR

Thanks for your reply. The Michelin is too much of a street tire and doesnt have the size i'm looking for. The coopers look good, but then again, only in a "D" rating.

Nitto Dura grappler 285 75 17
I have looked at those, and somewhat like them, but they may be too much of a street tire as well. I need the AT as i sometimes have to get off the beaten path when we ride atv's. Not sure how they would handle some light mud. :confused013:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Only tires I can think of are Firestone Destination AT 285/70/17 E, Toyo AT same size as Firestone's, and Procomp Extreme AT 306/65/17 E load. If you are planning on running that size 285/75 you are really limited. Good luck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts