Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
432 Posts
About all you can do is get the truck inside a heated garage and let it thaw out.

·
4,678 Posts
Diesel 911 in tank and in filterbowl too, along with change out the filter(s).....Heated shed is a good idea if its available.

·
Registered
352 Posts
A couple of torpedo heaters and metal plates around the truck to trap the warm air will heat up the underside sometimes enough to thaw it out and then with the Power Service 911 in the tank once you get it started it should stay clear with the warm fuel returning to the tank.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
problem. 2003 Cummins 5.9HO The pump appears to be mounted on the filter bowl.

I pulled the filter and its just as clean as when I put it in 6 weeks ago.

Truck ran fine up until the other morning.

Its about 10 to 20 degrees outside the last few days.

I added 911 Deisil Treatment and 4 gallons of K1 and still no fuel gets pumped.

If I pour K1 & 911 into the filter bowl the truck starts for a moment and then dies.

The Pump sounds lik its running when the starter is bummped but no fuel

Any ideas how to check the pump further?

Is there both and in tank pump and a filter mounted pump on this engine?

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
my wife is from Caribou and have family in Saco

there is a lift pump (tank) and the injection pump (on engine) but not on the filter bowl itself.

your saying no fuel gets pumped as in the filter bowl does not fill back up or what?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
my wife is from Caribou and have family in Saco

there is a lift pump (tank) and the injection pump (on engine) but not on the filter bowl itself.

your saying no fuel gets pumped as in the filter bowl does not fill back up or what?
03 came with a lift pump mounted on the filter housing the fix from dodge was the intank conversion when that pump took a dump. It possible he has not had the conversion.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Are you sure you are gelled and the pump itself didn't go bad? Those pumps where comin for going out. If I remember right your supose to have 45ml of diesel in 25 sec. The lines going down the frame rail have a quick disconnect almost right at the fender cab body line remove it there and see if it's liquid or jello.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My truck looks like the pump may be on the filter bowl. Thats where the buzzing sound is comming from when I bump the starter twice and leave the ign key in the accessory position.

The filter is new and should I see fuel comming into the bowl with the cover off? I get nothing.

My question is do the trucks have both an in tank pump and a pump on the filter as well as the high pressure pump on the engine. That would be a total of 3 pumps?

I bought this truck Brand New in 2003 and have not had any retrofits on the fuel pump.

does anyone have a picture of the quick disconnect that is mentioned?

Can you get a fitting that matches it to hook to an air compresser to blow the lines out back to the tank?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
If you bought it new in 03 and never had a retrofit then yes that little pump on the fuel filter housing black in color is the lift pump and you have nothing in the tank but a sender

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Magic!

Magic!
The K1 & The 80 oz of 911 plus using a commercial heat gun on the fuel pump, lines and tank to get the fuel flowing did the trick.

just like a frozzen garden hose it dribbled a little bit of fuel the first 10 times and the engine would run for 1 min exactally, then 2 mins and then Bang it flushed out and is running fine.

I ran the snowplow around the driveway to get the engine up to 200 degrees shut it down and it started right back up again.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Just because it buzzed doesn't mean it works remove the line right at the pump and check for fuel there is you still think it's gelled. If possible you can use air and small short low psi burst push fuel from the tank using the filler neck forward is you have good full I suspect. That pump is dead and a retrofit or fass system is in your future

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Magic!
The K1 & The 80 oz of 911 plus using a commercial heat gun on the fuel pump, lines and tank to get the fuel flowing did the trick.

just like a frozzen garden hose it dribbled a little bit of fuel the first 10 times and the engine would run for 1 min exactally, then 2 mins and then Bang it flushed out and is running fine.

I ran the snowplow around the driveway to get the engine up to 200 degrees shut it down and it started right back up again.
You can scrap my last post then good to see it running how cold is it there I haven't seen and gelled fuel around here in a while

1 - 14 of 14 Posts