Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just installed the xrt 175 hp tune :headbang:she will roal some coal I think the stacks help. My edge on hot (6) did not smoke like this animal, I had to hammer down to get smoke. I can just tap the gas and she blows smoke. The truck has some get up and go and I'm running 38" tires,can go from 50 to 80 in a blink:headbang: the cops are going to love me for tickets:hehe: The only think i found was at around 40mph + I get this shutter at like 1000-1500 rpm. I called H & S they said it was a dodge trans problem run the tow/haul to keep rpm up. Some thing with the tq convertor, what do i need to get a new tq convertor or somthing any help thanks.
Well worth the $$$$ xrt:yourock:

· Registered
109 Posts
Glad to hear of another pleased XRT owner....i will never run anything else!

· Registered
1,340 Posts
THAT ROCKS! GOT MINE ON ORDER AND TRUCK IS SUPPOSE TO BE OUT OF THE BODY SHOP EARILY NEXT WEEK. CAN'T WAIT TO PUT IT ON. EASY ON THE TIRES AND THE TRANS BROTHER!:headbang:

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Well just installed the xrt 175 hp tune :headbang:she will roal some coal I think the stacks help. My edge on hot (6) did not smoke like this animal, I had to hammer down to get smoke. I can just tap the gas and she blows smoke. The truck has some get up and go and I'm running 38" tires,can go from 50 to 80 in a blink:headbang: the cops are going to love me for tickets:hehe: The only think i found was at around 40mph + I get this shutter at like 1000-1500 rpm. I called H & S they said it was a dodge trans problem run the tow/haul to keep rpm up. Some thing with the tq convertor, what do i need to get a new tq convertor or somthing any help thanks.
Well worth the $$$$ xrt:yourock:

I get that shutter too. The only way to get rid of it for me is to run lower settings on my tuner. It doubt it is good for the converter.

· Unreconstructed
24,949 Posts
I believe it's just the way the transmission's TCM (Transmission Control Module) is set to shift.

It's almost like it's hanging up in the lower RPM's and doesn't wanna down-shift into a lower gear.

Mine does that too.

It got really noticeable when I jacked it up and put my 38's on there.

What gears are you running? 3.73 or 4.10?

I ordered mine with 4.10's.

· Unreconstructed
24,949 Posts
Go ahead DL...laugh it up...

LOL

· Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe it's just the way the transmission's TCM (Transmission Control Module) is set to shift.

It's almost like it's hanging up in the lower RPM's and doesn't wanna down-shift into a lower gear.

Mine does that too.

It got really noticeable when I jacked it up and put my 38's on there.

What gears are you running? 3.73 or 4.10?

I ordered mine with 4.10's.
3.73 gears always somthing. If I get an after market tq convertor will that fix it?

· Unreconstructed
24,949 Posts
3.73 gears always somthing. If I get an after market tq convertor will that fix it?
Not sure...but I've been told that a Goerend Triple-Disk is the way to go.

I'll more than likely be going that route myself when I toast this one.

I'm just hoping that Goerend or Suncoast will create a billit 68RFE that can handle the HP & TQ needs. I'm shooting for RWHP to be around 850+.

I just need a tranny that can handle that first...LOL

· Registered
113 Posts
rite now theres four companys making converters ats suncoast dttand goerend all are claiming to have about the same holding power, this will cure converter shudder as far as billet transmissions Ihaven`t been able to find anybody building them although nacp out of canada is advertising a unit that will hold up to 600 hp but hp is not whats killing these converters its brutal low end torque thats why chrysler put on a torque monitor system although im not a big fan of it add a tuner to this combo wich gets better throtle response an more power = torque and the wimpy stock converter doesn`t stand a chance its best to upgrade converter sooner than later it will save the rest of your transmission

G

·
I got the poop on what is going on with the converter. (I just had mine replaced)

When the trans shifts, it is releasing the TQ clutches momentarily until it get into the next gear. This is supposed to prevent slamming from gear to gear which hurts the trans. I think it works.

Further, every time you flash your ECM, it resets a breakin timer for the clutches in the TQ. Flash enough times and it will shorten the life of the converter.

The rumble you are hearing is actually the clutches in the trans chattering. The XRT, which is what I am familiar with, has so much torque you are causing the clutches to slip when applying fuel. This is happening at 40 or faster. That is when the 68RFE is all locked in the highest gears. What H & S told you was keep the RPMs up, meaning drop it a gear.

This means if you want to go from 50 to 80 in 2 seconds, you need to down shift out of 6. It will release some of the torque. Just push a bit harder on the pedal to make it go down. I tried that thing with the tow mode. In a slight accell in 6 locked up, it still chatters. Hammer it a bit harder and the chatter goes away as soon as you down shift. Tow mode and normal mode perform the same at higher speeds. These transmissions are calculated to match speed to input power, based on STOCK engines. Not 200 HP more like many of us have.

It doesn't matter what tuner you have, they deliver more torque than the transmission was designed for.

· Premium Member
686 Posts
Wow nice post man very informative.

· Premium Member
686 Posts
Yeah my 08 is my first turbo diesel and I am always looking for as much accurate information i can get. its way different from my 84 6.2L.

· Unreconstructed
24,949 Posts
Thanks :thumbsup: I am always on a quest for accurate information on these 6.7's. They are a completely different beast then the 5.9's. More complicated than many want to believe
Nah...I think you're just old and have nothing better to do with your time... :shock:

Oops...Did I just say that out loud?

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

Don't go poopin your depends...Just messin ya bud. :lol4: :S:

Great write-up Steve! Now we all know that those God-aweful sounds are our tranny's crying out for help under the 175 tune...LOL

· Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,917 Posts
RIGHT ARM! Glad it's working good. I love this tune!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.