Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while looking into what might be causing the whine with my raptor fuel pump, and my fuel pressure to drop from 20 down to 10psi just under moderate throttle, i decided it was time to do either a draw straw or tank sump to eliminate any possible issues between the tank and the raptor pump. upon further research i decided that i would go with a tank sump to eliminate the 1/4 tank issues and the air sucking involved with draw straws. i see that the hellman is pretty much the way to go as far as this forum goes, but i also dont see how any brand could perform better than the others.

so i see that xdp sells their own brand. but it has a horseshoe shaped ring for inside the tank so you dont even have to drop the tank to install the thing.

does anybody have any input on the XDP brand unit vs the hellman unit?

they have the same fittings and everything, just a different ring that goes inside the tank. same number of outlet ports and everything

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I don't think the sump will help with the pump issue, it is nice to not have to deal with the 1/4 tank issue though. I agree all brands should perform the same unless one is poorly designed. Although I'm sure all are just variations of each other.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think the sump will help with the pump issue, it is nice to not have to deal with the 1/4 tank issue though. I agree all brands should perform the same unless one is poorly designed. Although I'm sure all are just variations of each other.
i wasnt convinved it would help before hand either, but considering that i may have a clogged suction tube in the tank, clogged screen, or even cracked line or something in the tank, id rather just throw the sump in and be done with it then fix it and have to fix it again. and ive also heard that if the pump is sucking air in with the fuel then it will make the pump whine like mine does. and the sump should eliminate the air getting to the pump because the air finds its way to the top of the fuel tank while the sump is mounted at the absolute bottom.

·
Rescue Tower
10,810 Posts
Just know that there are no baffles in that tank. If you're low on fuel and go on any incline that pushes fuel away from the sump and you're done.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just know that there are no baffles in that tank. If you're low on fuel and go on any incline that pushes fuel away from the sump and you're done.
likewise with a draw straw, and it can be done to a tank with a drawstraw at a much higher fuel level

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
actually the sump does help, we were the first ones to my knowledge to create the "no tank drop sump" and when we were in the test phases of this we did notice that having the sump 2" lower than the tank and feeding directly from the bottom of the tank helped out alot and Eliminated the 1/4 Tank issues. We also changed up our design a little bit further and machined a hexagon inside the bowl of the sump to prevent any type of cyclone of ventury inside the bowl.
Check it out (Fuel Sump)

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Sounds great but still what about offroad usage? What about debris hooking the sump? How about debris hooking the fuel line and riping it off? My truck see a lot of offroad usage and just the idea of something hanging down and not guarded bugs me...

2 cents to the pile...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually the sump does help, we were the first ones to my knowledge to create the "no tank drop sump" and when we were in the test phases of this we did notice that having the sump 2" lower than the tank and feeding directly from the bottom of the tank helped out alot and Eliminated the 1/4 Tank issues. We also changed up our design a little bit further and machined a hexagon inside the bowl of the sump to prevent any type of cyclone of ventury inside the bowl.
Check it out (Fuel Sump)
yours was another one i was considering. looks like it might seal better due to the ring inside going all the way around instead of being a horse shoe shape. does it come with the regular 1/2" push-loc-pain-in-the--to-get-into-the-fuel-line-barbed-thing-with-yellow-ring connection type deal?

Sounds great but still what about offroad usage? What about debris hooking the sump? How about debris hooking the fuel line and riping it off? My truck see a lot of offroad usage and just the idea of something hanging down and not guarded bugs me...

2 cents to the pile...
my truck doesnt really see "off road" much, dirt roads in vermont here and there and some trotting around at my work but other than that nothing serious. the off roading ended when i sold my jeep a few years back. from the looks of it ill hook up the t-case/tranny skid first anyways. also doesnt look like it'd go much lower than some of the filter setups on airdogs and fass systems ive seen too?

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
i could see if you are getting yourself in some gnarly off-road situations where you would not want to install the sump, But in that case hopefully you have a shield on your fuel tank anyway
and the Alligator Sump comes with a barbed fitting not a push lock

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
my truck doesnt really see "off road" much, dirt roads in vermont here and there and some trotting around at my work but other than that nothing serious. the off roading ended when i sold my jeep a few years back. from the looks of it ill hook up the t-case/tranny skid first anyways. also doesnt look like it'd go much lower than some of the filter setups on airdogs and fass systems ive seen too?
It not so much I hit dirt... It the logs and limbs I walk over...

As for the filters... They are guarded... Old School short box bracket tucked right up behind the transfer case and the skid plate guards the filters...

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
in your case Mopar, i can understand, i will try and think of some kind of brace ... are at least see if it is possible/realistic
but for the average guy it wouldnt be an issue or if the truck had traction bars

1 - 11 of 11 Posts