Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought a 2003 cummins and I want to run WVO or a blended fuel in it and I was just looking to see what kind of experience others have had with this on the common rail trucks? ANy issues? Does it shorten the injector life? Anything to be aware of or to avoid?

Thanks

God bless...

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Common Rails are not super popular for WVO conversions because they are soo anal about commercial diesel much less veggie oil. I am not saying it can't be done. I would definately invest in a centerfuge and run a two tank system if you want your injectors to be happy. I would also advise doing some UOA to make sure your are not getting any dilution or other WVO related-problems. Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
411 Posts
my 2 cents

I personally havent heard of anyone running WVO in a common rail engine. Not saying it can't be done, mind you. Just that you are taking a very expensive risk with your entire injection system. Probably why there arent a whole lot of people heading in that direction. But hey, if nobody ever experimented and took risks, we'd not have half the knowledge we currently do!:thumbsup:

My issue with WVO is that there are dissolved salts in it (at unknown levels) from the foods that were cooked in it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have blended filtered and dewatered wvo with ULSD up to 40% with pretty good results on a 2006 Ram 3500DRW. The common rail injection system on the Dodge 5.9 is very finicky. If the blended wvo with diesel mixture is not thin enough the injection system will let you know. I have blended up to 50% wvo with diesel before with fair to poor results. The biggest problem will be shutdown and cold/warm start ups. Veg oil that cools down in the injectors will gum up the nozzles and give you start up problems if the mixture is to thick. Another thing is you want proper or close to proper spray pattern. Everything boils down to the fuels viscosity. If your going to blend start small with a 10% blend to 90% diesel and work your way up. I say 35% mixture is the limit for problem free operation. Also have spare fuel filters on hand because the wvo will clean out your fuel tank.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
Thanks for the info zeenman1, I will keep that in mind. In my older truck I was doing a blend of about 20% regular inleaded and some injector cleaner and the rest WVO and that worked fine in warm weather. I was about to add some neat little line heaters I found just to keep the oil temp and thus viscosity up. Worked on that one, but just wanted to see what other people have done on the common rail trucks. Have you found any way to check for salt content in your WVO? Thanks

Anybody know how the cp3 and injectors do with heated fuel? Hate to damage something with line heaters!

God bless...

Mark

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,

I just bought a 2003 cummins and I want to run WVO or a blended fuel in it and I was just looking to see what kind of experience others have had with this on the common rail trucks? ANy issues? Does it shorten the injector life? Anything to be aware of or to avoid?

Thanks

God bless...

Mark
Hi; I know that this thread is ancient history but I'm curious if you went ahead running wvo in your 2003 Cummins? I am running wvo in my 1997 12v using Plantdrive conversion componnents, with no real issues, but that engine is known to be happy on wvo. But I'm looking at a 2003 Cummins and wondering if I can make that one work on wvo too. I realize it is not a slam dunk on wvo, unlike the 12v. Just wondering what your experience is, if any?
Thanks for any insights!

·
Registered
138 Posts
It can be done. The 3rd gens are a lot crankier in terms of purging for shutdown on a two tank system.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It can be done. The 3rd gens are a lot crankier in terms of purging for shutdown on a two tank system.
Thanks for the reply. I was aware that the Cummins CRD is not as forgiving as the 1994-1998 12v, when it comes to WVO. Do you have any firsthand experience with a 2003- 2007 CRD on WVO? The retailers that sell the components seem to indicate this is a practical, if more problematic, WVO conversion. I was hoping to hear from someone with first hand experience with such a conversion. I live on the West Coast in BC, so extreme cold weather is not an issue.

I have not pulled the trigger yet and bought a CRD and I would likely be better off sticking with my old 12 valve, if I want to burn WVO. Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Currently have a 06 as seen in my sig on wvo and my moms 04.5 as well, for the new common rails. Both of these trucks were custom conversions. We bought some of the parts from wvo stores online but put it all together ourselves. My dad also has a 98 -12 valve on the road currently running wvo. (had 2 other 12v's on wvo but upgraded them due to fact that they were 2wd). WVO is a lot of work and if done on a vehicle that is not in good working order will just cause you to hate them.

Reactions: greenghost45

·
Registered
60 Posts
Currently have a 06 as seen in my sig on wvo and my moms 04.5 as well, for the new common rails. Both of these trucks were custom conversions. We bought some of the parts from wvo stores online but put it all together ourselves. My dad also has a 98 -12 valve on the road currently running wvo. (had 2 other 12v's on wvo but upgraded them due to fact that they were 2wd). WVO is a lot of work and if done on a vehicle that is not in good working order will just cause you to hate them.
Hey, thanks for all the info. I have been running wvo in my 1997 12v for a couple of years now, so I know it's more trouble than most folks think. I was still dealing on the 2003 CRD when I canceled the deal over the service history, as in there was NONE! I'm still looking for a 2003 to 06 CRD, but for now the old 12v is fine. I'm guessing your experience is that the 12v is much easier to keep happy on wvo? Are you able to run WVO all winter in Winnipeg in your CRDs?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
138 Posts
We setup the vehicles that they can run all year round. The colder it gets,the longer it takes to switch over to wvo (all our vehicles are two tank systems). As for crd or 12 valve.... i would say once they are converted they both run very nicely. The expensive issue is the injectors on the crd. They both can have issues.

Reactions: greenghost45

·
Registered
60 Posts
We setup the vehicles that they can run all year round. The colder it gets,the longer it takes to switch over to wvo (all our vehicles are two tank systems). As for crd or 12 valve.... i would say once they are converted they both run very nicely. The expensive issue is the injectors on the crd. They both can have issues.
Did you have injector issues on the CRD that you think were wvo related or caused?
Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not sure if i had injectors go down due to oil or if they were just at the end of their life. Injectors on a 12v if they go bad can be rebuilt with new nozzles for a couple hundred, while a crd are a couple thousand for new injectors.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not sure if i had injectors go down due to oil or if they were just at the end of their life. Injectors on a 12v if they go bad can be rebuilt with new nozzles for a couple hundred, while a crd are a couple thousand for new injectors.
Yeah, I just priced the CRD injectors on eBay and they are pricey. My first CTD was a 1998.5 24 valve with almost 250,000 miles (not kms, I imported the truck from the USA), and it was still on the original injectors when I sold it. How many miles did you get on your CRD before the injectors went bad?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had 2 injectors go at 330,000 km, my dad had a couple of spares around that i was able to put in though. I am looking at replacing all of them later next year (hoping they make it). If you look around on the forum there are many horror stories about crd injectors. Many people have purchased reman injectors that have only lasted 1,000 km before they died.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had a Jeep liberty CRD that I ran on a blend about 6 months out of the year. Approximate total miles was around 40K ish. before I sold it. I still see it around so I know it's fine. It LOVED the blend I made. I was towing my boat and getting 18-21 mpg and commuting I'd get 30-32mpg and tons of power! Only issues I had were when the temps would get down to 50F it would be hard to start.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts