Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading so many "claims" of impending doom for the VP44, it's got my leary about the WVO setup I'm building.

What I have now is:
23 gallon plastic fuel tank from a boat (fits in toolbox)
Mallorey gearmotor pump
1/2" aluminum line
3/8" aluminum line (for return)
3 way DC valve (for return routing)
a couple of sections of pipe with check valves to handle the fuel and less likelihood of issues compared to a DC valve having to handle heated fuel.
I need to find a suitable fuel filter for it though.

Also I'm trying to decide the fuel heating. I've got a section of 1" hose I was going to make an pipe in pipe setup with engine coolant to heat the oil. But I'm worried about pumping ~180F fuel into the VP44 due to the electronics.

I know the fuel pump I've got will push it. But how would the VP44 handle the thicker oil? (non heated) I'm thinking now about only a small heat exchanger for the oil instead of the 1" hose in hose from the tank to the IP. Aiming to get the fuel to about 120-140F. Let it run through the VP44. Then wrap the injector lines with electrical heating elements to help reduce the chances of injector coking.

That said, who's got one they've been running for a while? What's your setup? Any issues?

I've read a lot of talk about the VP44 not being able to handle the heat. But I've not found a story yet where someone lost a VP44 from heat.

·
Registered
847 Posts
i have been running it unheated and it seems ok but i dont run 100% i thin it out with 15% kerocene and then usually have betwwen a half or quarter tank of diesel in the truck b4 i put any wvo in

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have been running it unheated and it seems ok but i dont run 100% i thin it out with 15% kerocene and then usually have betwwen a half or quarter tank of diesel in the truck b4 i put any wvo in
Are you heating it or not? Heat + VP44 + heavy oil = P0216

·
Registered
847 Posts
no heat and oil isnt heavy because it is diluted with diesel, it flows like water, but in winter i dont runit

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Does kerosene thin it well? I use a little RUG in the winter in the WVO.

·
Registered
233 Posts
anyone hear of diesel secret?

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's a guy on frybird that says he has over 100k on heated wvo with no vp44 failure.
Lucky him. I got about 600 miles before I got P0216's from the heat. (I've had NO P0216's since though running diesel) :(

I'm going to strip out the heated hose setup and install just a 1/2" line setup on mine and run a blend of WVO + JetA in the second tank.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Just wondering about the jetA remark. An Aircraft Maintenance Engineer would have access to a supply every time they emptied a tank...

Does kerosene work as well as RUG?

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wondering about the jetA remark. An Aircraft Maintenance Engineer would have access to a supply every time they emptied a tank...

Does kerosene work as well as RUG?
That's where I'm getting my JetA.

patracy said:
Kero is lighter than #2 diesel, it thins WVO well.
JetA is almost the same as Kero. It's thinner than diesel, which is what you need. You'll never get WVO + diesel thinned down to #2's consistency without a larger portion of diesel than WVO. Kero/JetA allows you to thin it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
the most kero i would use is 25%
and also what is rug?

·
Registered
151 Posts
RUG= Regular Unleaded Gasoline

kevlars

·
Registered
847 Posts
o yea i do add some of that but i was having some second thought of that, i was told it was to aid in starting, but doesnt the centane boost do taht and i also heard putting gas in a diesel is bad. i was thinking of not doing it anymore its an added cost and pain and my cummins starts great so idk y i need it, when i had my powerstorke it cranked forever, then i thought i needed more but now i see no need

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
ULSD + RUG is not good. Poor lubricity to start gets worse when thinned. WVO's lubricity is much better so a little thinning shouldn't hurt, so goes the theory.

·
Registered
847 Posts
yea but doesnt kero do the thining and gas is supposed to help it start better but idont understand what gas is goining 2 do especially1 gal in 33gals

1 - 19 of 19 Posts