Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
06’ Ram 3500 Megacab, K&N Airintake, Smarty Touch, GDP Fuel Filter.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I know this isn’t a new issue for people so don’t shoot the messenger but I seem to have the issue during very specific times and was hoping someone out there knows how to fix it.
My 06’ Megacab has new Bosch injectors and cross over tubes and I recently added a smarty touch and EGT probe. The issue I have is while driving down a grade especially while towing, my WTS light will come on and I get 10 chimes with it. Sometimes it’s when cruise control is on, sometimes it’s not. (When I use the CC on a grade it’s a very slight grade)
What almost always sets the WTS light off is coming down a grade and the truck is starting to try and slow it self down. Sometimes it bumps the RPM’s to 3000, sometimes it will activate at 2000. I replaced the FCA and also tried capping off the pressure relief valve for a while to see if that would fix the issue. The FCA seemed to help with how often it came on, the PRV plug didn’t make any difference at all so I put the normal PRV back on. There are not codes in the system that I can pull. I just got the truck back from my diesel shop and they ran a bunch of test on it and couldn’t find anything abnormal except for a bad Oring and crossover tube on #4. They replaced those and the truck ran great for my 3hr drive home while towing over the pass...except for deceleration coming down a grade and it turned on the WTS 2x on the way home again.
When this happens it makes the truck shift weird and de-tunes it so that when trying to climb back up a grade I’m maxed out at like 50MPH. I was flat towing my Jeep so I had about 5500lbs behind me. When the WTS the truck runs right up the hills.
I have a Diablo sport tuner for my Jeep that I use to clear the DTC on the Dodge. It never gives me a code on either programmer. If you have any knowledge here I could really use some help on what to investigate next. I’ve only seen one other discussion thread where a guy had it happen on deceleration each time and he was in CO in the Rockies.
I’m in the Sierra Mtns in CA&NV. Only other things I’ve heard mentioned could be CP3 or Wastegate valve. I have only ever pulled 1 code of this truck when actually scanned at Dodge. They said high pressure fuel leak, but that was before all the recent work. The code they pulled at Dodge was P1222. Thanks for the help!!!

·
SuperModerator
10,398 Posts

From all the reading I have done the WTS with 10 dings is an indicator of too much fuel being returned.
But you already know this.
Someone will post more info, I'm sure.

Reactions: RTSRAM

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Do you know where the injectors came from? Like NEW new, or kinda “shady” new? It’s usually an injector issue or tubes/ injectors not torqued exact. Some places are selling rebuilt injectors as new. And some rebuilts are terrible. They are a very low tolerance, high precision piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you know where the injectors came from? Like NEW new, or kinda “shady” new? It’s usually an injector issue or tubes/ injectors not torqued exact. Some places are selling rebuilt injectors as new. And some rebuilts are terrible. They are a very low tolerance, high precision piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes they came from a shop I’ve been using for a few years now. They are new Bosch injectors. I’ll check the paperwork and see what it says to confirm.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I would be very careful to double check they are actually new Bosch. The china fake Bosch units that are also sold as new are extremly convincing.

BBI did a write up on the differences.

Same goes for the crossover tubes. Lots of cheap junk knockoffs out there. If you got actual Bosch crossover tubes they have codes on them to verify they are authentic.

·
Registered
2007 Ram 3500 5.9, mostly stock
72 Posts
My truck did this WTS and defuel thing on the way home the day i bought it, i changed the FCA and rail pressure relief and it fixed the issue, the shop i talked to said it could be injectors or feed tubes also, as stated above. Thats my experience

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My truck did this WTS and defuel thing on the way home the day i bought it, i changed the FCA and rail pressure relief and it fixed the issue, the shop i talked to said it could be injectors or feed tubes also, as stated above. Thats my experience
The FCA helped mine not do it as often. But it’s still doing it. I tried capping off the pressure relief without any change so I switched back to the normal valve.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Someone correct me if im wrong but i think it can be the cp3 also (definitely not common on cummins but my brothers duramax threw a code like this and it was his cp3) u need to isolate the return from the cp3 and the injectors and check the return rate of both to determine where your problem is

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone correct me if im wrong but i think it can be the cp3 also (definitely not common on cummins but my brothers duramax threw a code like this and it was his cp3) u need to isolate the return from the cp3 and the injectors and check the return rate of both to determine where your problem is
It could be the CP3 but I am not sure how to be able to do the testing you talking about. I think you need special equipment for that. Anyone have a detailed procedure list for that test?

·
Registered
72 Posts
U just need to find the two different return lines and put them in separate containers and run it for a prescribed amount of time. Check this thread out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok I know this isn’t a new issue for people so don’t shoot the messenger but I seem to have the issue during very specific times and was hoping someone out there knows how to fix it.
My 06’ Megacab has new Bosch injectors and cross over tubes and I recently added a smarty touch and EGT probe. The issue I have is while driving down a grade especially while towing, my WTS light will come on and I get 10 chimes with it. Sometimes it’s when cruise control is on, sometimes it’s not. (When I use the CC on a grade it’s a very slight grade)
What almost always sets the WTS light off is coming down a grade and the truck is starting to try and slow it self down. Sometimes it bumps the RPM’s to 3000, sometimes it will activate at 2000. I replaced the FCA and also tried capping off the pressure relief valve for a while to see if that would fix the issue. The FCA seemed to help with how often it came on, the PRV plug didn’t make any difference at all so I put the normal PRV back on. There are not codes in the system that I can pull. I just got the truck back from my diesel shop and they ran a bunch of test on it and couldn’t find anything abnormal except for a bad Oring and crossover tube on #4. They replaced those and the truck ran great for my 3hr drive home while towing over the pass...except for deceleration coming down a grade and it turned on the WTS 2x on the way home again.
When this happens it makes the truck shift weird and de-tunes it so that when trying to climb back up a grade I’m maxed out at like 50MPH. I was flat towing my Jeep so I had about 5500lbs behind me. When the WTS the truck runs right up the hills.
I have a Diablo sport tuner for my Jeep that I use to clear the DTC on the Dodge. It never gives me a code on either programmer. If you have any knowledge here I could really use some help on what to investigate next. I’ve only seen one other discussion thread where a guy had it happen on deceleration each time and he was in CO in the Rockies.
I’m in the Sierra Mtns in CA&NV. Only other things I’ve heard mentioned could be CP3 or Wastegate valve. I have only ever pulled 1 code of this truck when actually scanned at Dodge. They said high pressure fuel leak, but that was before all the recent work. The code they pulled at Dodge was P1222. Thanks for the help!!! View attachment 923698
Did you ever find a fix to this problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you ever find a fix to this problem?
YES!!!!! We finally got it figured out recently. The “new” remanufactured injectors had issues with them and it took a couple different trips in to figure it out. Bosch ended up refunding the injectors and sent out new ones. The truck runs better now then when I bought it from the previous owner.

·
Registered
2005 Ram 2500
2 Posts
A tidbit of info for the WTS light issue. The codes that are generated from this do not come up on a the cheap OBD2 code readers. You have to do the key on/off trick and it will display the code where the odometer reading is on the dash. key on then off 2 times and leave in the on position the 3rd. The WTS light and 10 dings , in my case, came up as P0122 and P0124.

·
Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
2,439 Posts
YES!!!!! We finally got it figured out recently. The “new” remanufactured injectors had issues with them and it took a couple different trips in to figure it out. Bosch ended up refunding the injectors and sent out new ones. The truck runs better now then when I bought it from the previous owner.
There ya go. No wonder it was so tough to get help on here for your issue. You said you got NEW injectors. You didn't - you got Bosch REMANS. Which... now ya know. Bosch reman is not the same as a new injector. The only remans I'd buy are BBI, and I have them now. But hey, you live, you learn! Glad you got it solved.

Reactions: StealthDiesel
1 - 14 of 14 Posts