Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
17” dually tires are derated even more. A single tire must carry the load if the second gets a flat. All you dually dudes just got dually fooked.
Tires used in a dual configuration are derated to compensate for uneven load caused by road crowning and tracks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Why is it that 17" tires carry the lowest load ratings? There are 2 tires, toyo mt and nitto dura grappler, that have load ratings that i can use. Why is this? Why do I need to step up to an 18" wheel to get decent load ratings? I emailed tire companies with this question and got no logical response other than, you need to get a larger wheel size. I haul a heavy truck camper and need that extra assurance.
I am running the new Falken Wildpeak AT3 and they are load range E. 17 inch.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yep should have said more of the load or an increased load...

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
760 Posts
17” dually tires are derated even more. A single tire must carry the load if the second gets a flat. All you dually dudes just got dually fooked.
Be that as it may, with 4 tires you still have about 5,250 pounds more tire load capacity then if you just had 2 tires. If your hauling or towing heavy and a tire blows out you should pull over ASAP anyway. Could also put the spare tire on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,922 Posts
I am running the new Falken Wildpeak AT3 and they are load range E. 17 inch.
That’s great. What size tire and what is the max load rating? Saying their load range E means nothing. A large percentage of 17” truck tires are load range E, but now limited to 3195 lbs. Some of the bigger D range tires carry more weight.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,848 Posts
Why is it that 17" tires carry the lowest load ratings?
I haul a heavy truck camper and need that extra assurance.
1.) Damn nice setup you have there. . .

2.) As a fellow truck camper owner (and an honorary member of the Payload Police) I feel its important you realize that 99% of all truck camper owners grotesquely overload their vehicle.
Showing a CAT scale ticket to a truck camper is like throwing holy-water on a vampire.;)

Side note...
The camper rating for my 2016 RAM 3500 is 1301 Lb. but my camper weighs 3800 Lb... and dont even ask me about my rear GAWR situation... "I burn my CAT scale tickets".
* My truck's camper rating sheet is below...

3.) As info, I have found that with 18 inch SRW truck's its the 'wheel' that is the limiting load-factor, not the tire, so going to an 18" wheel may not be the perfect answer. Just saying.👍

Happy camping!
-Ej- 🍺

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep. As I originally posted. There are 2 tires that can handle over 3195.this is one. The other is the toyo mt which I am running currently. Unfortunately, living in the rockies at 10k ft, I need an at tire. The ht just won't suffice on 7 months of snow and ice.
I have not read all the posts but in the ones I read I just thought I would add this. I use the nitro dura grappler size 285/75/17 which is a 34 inch tire if I remember right. This specific size is a 128/125R and has a max single load rating of 3970 lbs which would handle what I think you are trying to do. I know they are technically a HT but I also live in the Rockies and I too was worried how they would do on snow and ice. To be honest they handle it just as well as than my Hankook dynapros did. They have a good amount of sipes in the design. As a side note I like the ride in them as well, no more mush going around corners. I will be getting the same ones again when it comes time.
Idk if they would rub being loaded as heavy as you but I can tell you my truck is bone stock and they come close but don’t rub on me. Just going by memory I am just shy of 5k on the front but again that’s just memory.
They are a heavier tire and I could feel it when I first got them but it has turned out just fine. I too have 3.73.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,922 Posts
I really want to like the Dura Graps, but the tread seems to me like it would struggle in some of the places I ask my truck to go. I often out walking ahead poking at mud holes with a stick. Not where I want to be with a highway tire and a 3500 lb camper on and off-roader on the trailer behind...

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I have not read all the posts but in the ones I read I just thought I would add this. I use the nitro dura grappler size 285/75/17 which is a 34 inch tire if I remember right. This specific size is a 128/125R and has a max single load rating of 3970 lbs which would handle what I think you are trying to do. I know they are technically a HT but I also live in the Rockies and I too was worried how they would do on snow and ice. To be honest they handle it just as well as than my Hankook dynapros did. They have a good amount of sipes in the design. As a side note I like the ride in them as well, no more mush going around corners. I will be getting the same ones again when it comes time.
Idk if they would rub being loaded as heavy as you but I can tell you my truck is bone stock and they come close but don’t rub on me. Just going by memory I am just shy of 5k on the front but again that’s just memory.
They are a heavier tire and I could feel it when I first got them but it has turned out just fine. I too have 3.73.
Just my 2 cents.
I know a guy who runs the Duragrapplers and loves them. He said the truck finally steers right. I wish they offered a 305 at least.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts