3rd gen brake upgrade opinion

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
another tid bit
2000-2008 all have same caliper (dual piston).

My XD's fit my 3rd gen, so I cannot see why they would not clear on a second gen

not confirmed but the 00-08 caliper brackets may all be the same(size wise part numbers may be different). I tossed mine before checking to see if this was true
I looked at my 02 caliper brackets compared to the 03+ and they were different. The 03+ had a larger distance from the axle mounting hole to the caliper mounting hole which accommodates the larger rotors. Otherwise the larger 03+ rotors would probably strike/rub the brackets found on my 02 from the factory.

You, dear readers, may test-fit to your heart's delight, but I'm pretty damn sure that the newer brackets are the key. You could source just the brackets and re-use your calipers but there is no success to be found with changing the calipers and not the brackets.

I do agree that the calipers seem to be the same from my 02 to the 03+.

--HC

·
Registered
80 Posts
So I have a 99 and according to this I would need 00+ axles. Is there a way to upgrade the brakes on my 99 without having to go through the axle swaps? Would it make more sense to get 03+ axles in the first place / do they fit on a 99? My brakes stop on a damn football field.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
19,886 Posts
For the record, all you need to buy to swap the front over is the 3rd gen rotors and caliper mounts. the calipers are the same as well as hoses.

Edit: and pads....whoops :lol4:

·
Registered
978 Posts
My rotors on my 01.5 are shot.. so I will be doing this upgrade..
Price of just brackets is so close to the price of the ENTIRE caliper assy (comes w/brackets for '03) I will just get all new stuff for $100 more. :party018:
AS LONG AS the banjo bolt thread is the same.. (would rather not mess with boring out, ect.)

Is it confirmed the threads are all the same on these? :confused013:

Also, is it necessary to remove the axle or hub to remove the rear hat (disc/drum)?

·
Registered
978 Posts
OK, just finished this upgrade. :party018: I reused my old calipers, so no info on the banjo bolt from me. Rotors come right off once caliper and bracket are removed for both front AND rear.. Axles & hubs stay put.
A couple of interesting things to note:
1- The rear pads are the SAME as the 01-02 trucks.. In the rear, all you get with the upgrade is bigger discs and the bracket to make them fit.. still an improvement.
2- The rear dust shield IS big enough to cover the entire new rotor, unlike the front, where about an inch of the bigger rotor is exposed. Pads, rotors & brackets all bigger for the front.
3- If your park brake isn't working well, you may have a wheel seal leak and gear oil has contaminated the shoes.. I did, and it was an oily MESS! (see pics) There will be soooo much oil in them before it actually leaks out onto the tire, that the shoes will be garbage! I had my seals and bearings replaced right before I did this upgrade. So pull those rear rotors off ANY time you have the pads off and check it.. you might just save yourself $50. :thumbsup:

Lastly, the upgraded braking power is noticable.. you wont feel it when slowing to a stop, but hit 'em hard and you'll throw everything (and everyone) in the cab, right on the floor.. so wear your seatbelts. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
What dia are 3 gen rotors. Also what are the piston dia. Nice write up. Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
978 Posts
What dia are 3 gen rotors. Also what are the piston dia. Nice write up. Thanks:thumbsup:
13.75” IIRC.. at least 1” bigger than the 2nd gens.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Yea the cheaper route is getting the brackets instead of the caliper. This is on my list of things to do. 1 Clutch, 2 Brake Up grade and new tires 3 Exhaust brake.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Great write up!

Thanks for all the help.:thumbsup:

·
Mountain Man Customs
2,506 Posts
If you think you notice a braking difference when truck is empty, put a 3,000 lb camper on your truck, then hook up to a 20' boat. That's when you REALLY notice the braking improvement. If you can get your hands on some 17"+ rims, I highly recommend this mod. We always look for more power but this may save my life one of these days, no joke.
Any hitches arise when doing this on a 3500? The 1 ton d80's are different than the 3/4 tons, so just wanting to be clear.

·
Banned
8,204 Posts
3rd gen brake upgrade components are on the way. I wanted to go with the best could. I purchased everything through amazon.com everything but the caliper brackets were cheaper, but only if I sent my cores back in, then Rockauto.com I also couldn't get everything from one place other then amazon. Plus I just plain trust amazon...I get a lot of stuff from there and NEVER have a problem.

That meant:
EBC Green Stuff 7000 series front pads. Part Number: DP71650
EBC Green Stuff 6000 series rear pads. Part Number: DP61267
2x Raybestos 780143 Advance Technology Front Rotor
2x Raybestos 780129 Advance Technology Rear drum in hat Rotor
Cardone 14-1221 Left front caliper bracket
Cardone 14-1222 Right front caliper bracket
Cardone 14-1224 Rear caliper brackets x2
Raybestos 771PG Professional parking brake shoe set
Carlson H7311 Drum brake hardware (Raybestos part number is the same)

Total....$703.47 :banghead:

Most of it has showed up. Still waiting on one rear rotor, and rear brackets.

Im not replacing my calipers, I just did it the other year. Along with every single brake line.

·
Banned
8,204 Posts
Upgrade is done front and rear. I didn't really take any comparison pictures of the front as its been documented to death. I did take a few of the rears though. I looked all over and could find where anyone said if 3rd gen brackets were needed for the rear or not. It was asked lots of time, but never answered. Everyone always said, ' I had them and put them one, I don't know if I needed too.'

Well the answer is YES. If you want 3rd gen rear brakes you ABSOLUTLY need 3rd gen brackets.

this picture is with a 3rd gen rotor on and a 2nd gen caliper bracket. You can see how far off it is from lining up.

other comparison pics of the rear

I cant tell you right now how well its working as Im waiting on a ride into town to get a new caliper. right front wouldn't compress with out a major fight, bending my C-clamp all to hell, and now its sticking so needs to be replaced.

·
Banned
8,204 Posts
well I just drove it into town to return the core. All I can say is WOW! EBC recommends taking it pretty easy on the new pads for the first 200 miles so I didn't do any panic stops. However I popped over a hill doing about 40 in a 25 and two county mountys were coming towards me and I did the natural reaction of slamming on the brakes; I think I peed a little! It was a big shock to me when I nearly STOPED!

I also found my self having to let off of them when rolling up to a light because I was slowing way faster then ever before even with very light pedal input. I cant wait to complete the bedding process EBC recommends which is 5, 60-20mph emergency brakes. Id really love to feel the ABS. Haven't felt that since I put on the 37s and could only get it to activate with the 295s, every once in a while on less then ideal surfaces.

Spend the money; ITS WORTH IT!

I know ill feel much more confidant in traffic and pulling the trailers!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great info, I wish i would have known about this sooner, just replaced my front pads and rotors this summer but I will definitely upgrade to 3rd gen brakes next time they need to be done!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Both are great write-up's! When the time comes I'll seriously consider doing this myself.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
I did mine today because this is what happened to my rotor in a weeks time from ordering parts. Driver side rotor almost down to vents.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
102 Posts
Zack you should be able to do that 3500 don't quote me on this but I think you could swap newer 3500 stuff right over. Its been a while since I've done a brake job on either one though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think allot of us forget. We get into making these amazing trucks faster. because its easy to do,.We need to keep in mind that 7500 pounds of truck is hard to stop.

Reactions: cumminsdog
21 - 40 of 146 Posts