Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My mileage was sitting around 16 mpg (Us Gallon) which is low as it is but for my last tank of fuel it dropped to 13 mpg. I'm driving a 91.5 w250, bone stock

I don't get it... Half the driving was highway and I'm driving with an empty box and I'm not towing anything.

Anyone have any suggestions as to why my mpg is so low? I'm thinking there is maybe more to it but I don't know much about these trucks. :CRY:

It's kind of getting annoying seeing as how I'm paying 1.39 at the pump per litre right now... :$:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Oh, Ultra-Low Sulphur Diesel vs. Low Sulphur Diesel. Some say that ULSD is hurting their fuel mileage.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ultra low sulfur diesel new fuel 15ppm

Low Sulfur Diesel - old fuel 500ppm

How is your fuel filter?
that's a good point, I have no idea what type of diesel it is. I'm filling up at the same Gas station every time I fill up though so I doubt that would be the problem unless they just switched it... I can't see that though. I fill up every week too, same station every time

As for my fuel filter, I haven't even checked.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
t

As for my fuel filter, I haven't even checked.
Yeah I would check that out, diesel fuel filters seem to need to be change more often then their gas counterparts.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I would check that out, diesel fuel filters seem to need to be change more often then their gas counterparts.
yeah good call, while I'm at it I should probably get the air filter done. I bought the truck 2 months ago and probably should have just done this stuff when I got it. I need to get the oil changed as well so I guess I'll do it all at once and see where my mileage takes me after I do it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've always heard stories about these trucks getting 20-24 mpg. I've never done better than 18.5 in the 10 years I've had mine. 16.5 to 17.5 is more normal for my bone stocker.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've always heard stories about these trucks getting 20-24 mpg. I've never done better than 18.5 in the 10 years I've had mine. 16.5 to 17.5 is more normal for my bone stocker.
It's harder to get over 20mpg with an auto, having no lockup on these auto's dont help either.

·
Registered
253 Posts
best i've got was 19.8..if you're not getting bio-diesel, you need lubrication in the fuel..get a 16oz bottle of the super-tech 2 stroke oil at wal-mart.. works wonders

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's harder to get over 20mpg with an auto, having no lockup on these auto's dont help either.
well that makes sense too. I hate the fact mine is an auto. If I had the money I'd put a nv4500 in mine but I just can't afford that right now. Not sure if I ever will. I might sell my truck to get one with a Manual in it one of these days though, that's probably a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Because The Vehicle Is As Old As It Is Too You Should Think About Getting A Fuel System Flush. This Will Clean Out The Injectors So They Can Atomize The Fuel Better Which In Turn Burns More And Better Fuel Economy. After Think About Getting Bg's Lubricant And Cleaner Product. I Got A Mile To The Gallon Better On My 04 When I Started Using It.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I did the math on mine last weekend and I am only getting about 10mpg!!! It pulls a trailer with anywhere from 4k-6K on it plus the trailer. Its also a stick and I am pretty sure it has 3.54 gears in it to. It doesn't smoke, starts great, and has pretty good power (crappy 21cm turbo). What do you all think? I am going to use my wifes new GPS to make sure the speedo is accurate, then recheck it. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
DS79

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
i have hand calcualated mine and almost everytime i fill up its getting around 19.5 thats a mix of hiway and street. but when im on the street i get around 22. i know it can get better because i am stomping on it everywhere i go! i also use super tech 2 stroke oil when i fill up. i have noticed a 2-3 mpg increase.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So basically what I need to do for right now is this:

replace my fuel filter
replace my air filter
flush the fuel system (with some kind of fuel additive I assume? I almost bought some today too)

"After Think About Getting Bg's Lubricant And Cleaner Product"

what's that?

"16oz bottle of the super-tech 2 stroke oil at wal-mart"

I assume that means dump a 16oz bottle in my tank every time I fill up from now on?

I guess I'll do/start to do all that as soon as I can because I'm not too impressed with 13mpg when I pay the equivalent of $5.26 a US gallon as of today when I filled up :thud:

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Take your injectors out and get them cleaned and pop tested/ recalibrated by a Diesel Injection shop.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Take your injectors out and get them cleaned and pop tested/ recalibrated by a Diesel Injection shop.
replaced my fuel filter
replaced my air filter
flush the fuel system with an in-tank additive
Put 500 ml of Super-Tech 2 stroke oil in my full tank

All new Mopar 15-40 oil in and a new oil filter

Time to top up my tank and see what happens :peelout:

If I don't see much improvement I'll look into getting the injectors cleaned and pop tested/ recalibrated by a Diesel Injection shop

1 - 19 of 19 Posts