Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1996 12V 5-speed and it does not have a factory LSD. Is it worth swapping the factory LSD from my 1994 12V automatic into my 5-speed? Or is the factory LSD not worth it....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your 5 speed has a Dana 80 rear axle and you auto truck is a Dana 70. The diff wont swap. The bad thing about the Dana 80 is selection of LS carriers is pretty limited. With the Dana 70, there is a good selection of LS carriers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your 5 speed has a Dana 80 rear axle and you auto truck is a Dana 70. The diff wont swap. The bad thing about the Dana 80 is selection of LS carriers is pretty limited. With the Dana 70, there is a good selection of LS carriers.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually the build sheet for both trucks says

* Dana M80 Rear Axle

Is this wrong?

·
Registered
437 Posts
3500s 2WD & 4X4s both A&M trans have D80s.

Is it worth it? With a 4X4.Yes and No Thats all up to you.

2WD yes

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I bought a 1996 12V 5-speed and it does not have a factory LSD. Is it worth swapping the factory LSD from my 1994 12V automatic into my 5-speed? Or is the factory LSD not worth it....
Lets drop the LSD thing unless you're stuck in the 60's. :laugh:

Its a powr-lok or trac-lok if its factory. If both trucks are Dana 80's and the same ratio (3.54 and 4.10 have different offsets) its a direct swap.

IMO, the trac-lok isn't worth swapping. The powr-lok is better. Consider that once you spend the $$$ on a bearing kit, various tools, and clutch pack kit to install a powr-lok, you still have a diff that is unlikely to get you the traction you want in the boonies with 1 or 2tons of firewood onboard.

·
Registered
17,310 Posts
The manual calls them limited slip differentials. Trac-Lok and Power-Loc are brand names. You don't get a choice, Dodge did it for you. From the manual;

"TRAC-LOK/POWER-LOK OPERATION

Trac-Lok differential is available on Model 60 and 80 axles. Power-Lok differential is available on Model 70 axles."

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The manual calls them limited slip differentials. Trac-Lok and Power-Loc are brand names. You don't get a choice, Dodge did it for you. From the manual;

"TRAC-LOK/POWER-LOK OPERATION

Trac-Lok differential is available on Model 60 and 80 axles. Power-Lok differential is available on Model 70 axles."
Both may have been available in the 80 until a certain point.... perhaps '98.5. My spare '95 DRW D80 axle has a powr-lok. My '02 Dana 80 SRW has a trac-lok. Both are two-piece cases in the 80, so don't mistake one for the other. The powr-lok is more aggressive because of the wedging action of the ramped cross-pin.

I prefer to address them by name brand to know exactly what we're talking about. 'Limited slip' has become an inaccurate catch-all phrase spanning all makes. I actually wish they limited slip rather than slipping once the going gets tough.

Dana 80 trac-lok. Notice the cross-pin is fully captured by the case, and round.

Reactions: Loud Pedal

·
Registered
23 Posts
If your ratios are the same it may be just as easy to swap the whole axle.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Only thing worse than calling the Sure-Grips, Trac-locs, & Powr-locs an LSD is calling them a "Posi"...that's heartburn stuff right there.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Lets drop the LSD thing unless you're stuck in the 60's. :laugh:

Its a powr-lok or trac-lok if its factory. If both trucks are Dana 80's and the same ratio (3.54 and 4.10 have different offsets)

you can install a 4.10 carrier with a 3.54 ring and pinion buy machining .170 off the face of the carrier wear the ring gear bolts on. just make sure that the ring gear bolts do not bottom out in the carrier.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Only thing worse than calling the Sure-Grips, Trac-locs, & Powr-locs an LSD is calling them a "Posi"...that's heartburn stuff right there.
Interesting. I always thought "limited slip" covered all of the differentials that will spin both axles, but still allow proper cornering...as opposed to a spool. Or in other words, I thought Posi-Traction, Sure-Grip, Truetrac, etc. were all brand names of limited slip differentials. Is that incorrect?

·
Registered
17,310 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Interesting. I always thought "limited slip" covered all of the differentials that will spin both axles, but still allow proper cornering...as opposed to a spool. Or in other words, I thought Posi-Traction, Sure-Grip, Truetrac, etc. were all brand names of limited slip differentials. Is that incorrect?
You are Correct.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts