Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so about two months ago I did some maintenance on the IP in my truck. I had to retap two bolt holes on the afc housing and then I installed a boost & pyro gauge. As soon as I cranked it up and drove it, it started blowing oil. My first thought was I must've broke most or all of the vaccuum lines, but they were all fine. I had no idea what was causing it so I took it to my local diesel shop and they told me the rings were wore out, and that was what was causing it to blow oil. I find this hard to believe because it starts fine in the cold without even letting the grid heater come on, and it just started blowing out at an incredible rate (10 qts in about 2 days) and I just cant see how it would just happen all at once if the rings were wore out..

Anybody have any other ideas?...because they want 8k to rebuild it (no way in hell!) and I don't really want to buy another engine to swap in.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Vacuum pump pressurizing your crank case?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
If you changed something and then it started blowing oil, it would be reasonable to belive you messed something up during the install.

How does it look if you take of your oil cap? how does the down draft tube vent?

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Like Shainer says the vacuum pump is prssurizing the crankcase. Are your heater doors working correctlly, 4X4, and speed control. RINGS DO NOT WEAR OUT OVERNITE.. Look at vacuum system..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RIGHT that's exactly my thoughts..the rings do not wear out overnight..Yes everything that is vacuum controlled works correctly. could the seal be bad between the vaccum pump and powersteering pump maybe?..this is just baffling to me because I know the rings aren't worn out. Could they possibly be broke?..no change in power though. Doesn't skip or miss or anything. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
RIGHT that's exactly my thoughts..the rings do not wear out overnight..Yes everything that is vacuum controlled works correctly. could the seal be bad between the vaccum pump and powersteering pump maybe?..this is just baffling to me because I know the rings aren't worn out. Could they possibly be broke?..no change in power though. Doesn't skip or miss or anything. Any other ideas?
We have given you ideas.

You didnt answer my questions.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry about that..I answered the others and missed your post. I'll have to look when I get home from work but what exactly do you mean when you say how does it look w/ my oil cap off..how should it look?..and also I'm not exactly sure how to answer the next Q, but the down draft tube (assuming it's also called the blow by tube?) vent's right behind the front axle..

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Sorry about that..I answered the others and missed your post. I'll have to look when I get home from work but what exactly do you mean when you say how does it look w/ my oil cap off..how should it look?..and also I'm not exactly sure how to answer the next Q, but the down draft tube (assuming it's also called the blow by tube?) vent's right behind the front axle..
I would assume you would have extra pressure in there. I also agree with the other guys here, something is happening in the crankcase.

like I said in my first post, you modified something and now you instantly have this problem. reverse your modification, or look it over again and figure out what you did wrong.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to mention that if I hold my hand over the blow by tube it shoots the dipstick out..defintley pressurized huh?...how bout this one: Awhile back my HX35 locked down and I replaced it with a hy35 that has the wastegate line that goes back into the compressor housing. My old turbo's wastegate line went back into the afc. So to give the afc a boost reference, I put a T fitting in the port under the intake horn that my boost gauge line is hooked into and ran another line the fitting on the back of the afc.....this is just a shot in the dark but what do you think? Could that be possibly causing it...

I can't think of anything else because the only other thing I did was tap two holes in the pump that were stripped and put a boost & pyro gauge on

·
Registered
549 Posts
I forgot to mention that if I hold my hand over the blow by tube it shoots the dipstick out..defintley pressurized huh?...how bout this one: Awhile back my HX35 locked down and I replaced it with a hy35 that has the wastegate line that goes back into the compressor housing. My old turbo's wastegate line went back into the afc. So to give the afc a boost reference, I put a T fitting in the port under the intake horn that my boost gauge line is hooked into and ran another line the fitting on the back of the afc.....this is just a shot in the dark but what do you think? Could that be possibly causing it...

I can't think of anything else because the only other thing I did was tap two holes in the pump that were stripped and put a boost & pyro gauge on
The AFC already has a boost reference; think about it, the hx35 wastegate line went to the afc to get a boost signal not to give it one. Look at the back of the afc there should be a tee there one for a boost reference and one for the old wastegate. All you had to do was plug the unused tee port on the afc or plug the hole on the compressor housing and connect the HY wastegate to the exsiting line that the HX used. The added boost reference is not needed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
With the truck running remove the oil fill cap and see whats coming out of the blow by tube. I believe that is what post # 3 is asking

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
no...

Though, making a clusterf'k out of the lines can lead to some power/drivability issues. It will not cause any kind of blowby/crankcase pressure problems unless you plumbed a boost line into a valve cover or something LOL

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
no...

Though, making a clusterf'k out of the lines can lead to some power/drivability issues. It will not cause any kind of blowby/crankcase pressure problems unless you plumbed a boost line into a valve cover or something LOL
done that before on my first turbo car. sure smokes a lot :hehe:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well damn..I really have no idea then. What can pressurize the crank case besides the vacuum pump?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No your just looping the boost, just remove one though.
I will bud. Thanks:thumbsup:

Would a leak in the vacuum pump seals cause it to push air into the crankcase maybe?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
If you think the vacuum pump is the problem take the big line off and cap it. If no air can get in then no air will be pumped into the crankcase. None of your vacuum operated items will work, but at least you will isolate the problem.

I finally decided my rings were worn out, 788k miles, with about 70% towing. My engine is using a qt every 800 miles, which is apparantly a lot less than what you are using. I have very little oil blowing out the tube. So I have to ask, have you confirmed the oil is coming out of the vent tube or did your KDP attack you?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Would a leak in the vacuum pump seals cause it to push air into the crankcase maybe?
I doubt it. The vacuum pump seal that most of us have replaced is an oil seal that protects the drive mechanism to the power steering pump. In other words, if it fails then the oil would be leaking from the open area between the two pumps.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok that's what I needed to hear..and I capped it after reading this and its still blowing out. It doesn't blow oil idling or with free reving. But I put it on a dyno and put a load on the engine and then it blew it out. And yeah it is coming out of the CCV tube. But in response to your question, I haven't tabbed the KDP. It's something I was always "gonna do this weekend", but never got around to it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts