Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is the deal...I am a project manager for a Industrial cleaning/Environmental garbage Haz waste kinda company... I drive approx 100-250 miles a day visiting job sites/visiting customers...Company pays $500/month vehicle alllowance,++++:$: for fuel (gas/diesel), tires, and thats it...

my 03 (in my signature) is my baby and miles and the cost of parts is adding up and at 104,000 I am ready for another set of ball joints etc...
I want this to be my nice daily driver, but is turning into a pig pen no matter how much I try to keep it clean...trust me I can make these lame DIRTY JOBS people cry after they see what I get into w/ my above mentioned Job Description..

anyway I need to buy a work truck.... what is yer ol's opinion of a gas/diesel work truck...I want a manual tranny (so I have an excuse to not answer my cell phone) for sure, and can find incredible deals on V-10 gassers....

I have lurked around here abunch and think you all are a good bunch of guys and respect your opinion I have $5000 to spend on a reliable work truck what do you all think????

TIA, nutzio

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,033 Posts
Welcome

well I had a V10 and really loved it. it was my work truck. would still have it if some guy had not run that red light. Anyway, I bet you could find a good running one for a lot less then a diesel truck. You would not get the milage but diesel trucks don't run for free either. And if something does go bad diesel repairs are much more. They have really nice power too. Good luck on your plans, hope it works out.

·
Registered
625 Posts
you could get an older 2000 24v dodge cummins dually

·
Registered
97 Posts
well i wouldnt buy a v10 gasser, because of mileage. but if they cover it with that allowance who cares? id say that would be just fine for a work truck if you dont need a diesel to pull big stuff around. you could probly find a pretty decent one for 5g's.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

yes they pay for fuel (gas/diesel)...I need to tow 8k about three to four times a month. I just need a truck that is cheap to repair and lasts, my 03 is nickle and diming me to death, I drive on rough Industrial type access roads that the 03 hates:$:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I wouldn't get a v-10 in a million years. I had to use one for 3 months while I was in Florida over the holidays and I was blowing 60.00 daily in gas stop and go driving less than 75 miles a day. Nearly broke my bank.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i would have to opt for another cummins, myself. my buddys got a v10 and gets 6-8 mpg while towing. my cummins easily doubles that with a similar load....

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
you could get an older 2000 24v dodge cummins dually
thats not really older

i would say get a 96 or 67 12v 2500 4x4

the singles will get better mileage and unless your really towing alot theres no point in duals, its just 2more tires to replace..

they get pretty good mileage, you got the free power when you turn up the pump, and everythhing is mechanical which makes things easier

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes

thats not really older

i would say get a 96 or 67 12v 2500 4x4

the singles will get better mileage and unless your really towing alot theres no point in duals, its just 2more tires to replace..

they get pretty good mileage, you got the free power when you turn up the pump, and everythhing is mechanical which makes things easier

Yes I agreeI would like to find a decent [email protected]$5000 dollars they are rusted out or have present mechanical issues from what I have seen on traderonline.com. Then I still have the maintenance intensive front end to deal with the DODGE, and didn't these have the Fabled 53 block that could crack? Heck that $500 couldn't fix that:CRY: I dunno, I am sure I'll find something

1 - 9 of 9 Posts