Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally sold my 08 and just got home with my 96. Its nice to be back in a 12v again. That said, it will not fire off without a little pedal. First fire in the morning I have to hold the pedal for a few seconds or it will die. What do you think? Chris

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Get used to using the pedal or turn the idle up.
I personally prefer the pedal.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never had a 12v that required pedal to start. There is something wrong. I would rather fix the problem than learn to ignore it. Chris

·
Cummins Crazy
2,317 Posts
BDC1,

Pull the fuel filter one morning & get back to me-----

WAYNES WORLD

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought the truck, but the former owner just changed it. What are your thoughts? Chris

·
Registered
736 Posts
mine did this same thing, was self inflicted tho, built tranny and put in a tighter converter and backed down the idle so it wouldnt pull so hard at stop signs and such, was a real pain in the snow and ice. side effect is the idle is low for cold weather starts.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've ownd 11 12valve trucks they have all took alittle pedal to fire. I currently have a completly bonestock 94 with 527,xxx on it and my bombed 96 still take alittle pedal. It's just a 12valve thing IMHO

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about once its warm? What was before and is your idle presently? Chris

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've ownd 11 12valve trucks they have all took alittle pedal to fire. I currently have a completly bonestock 94 with 527,xxx on it and my bombed 96 still take alittle pedal. It's just a 12valve thing IMHO
Just my luck. Everyone I have had or driven, I never touched the pedal to start. The previous owner had another 96. He said he had cummins replace some check ball and no more pedal needed. Chris

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mine requires a touch of pedal right at start also but idles fine as soon as started. Dont matter if its cold or hot weather. Does not do it if engine is warm form running b4. I'm sure higher idle speed would help. I'm fine with it though.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Mine also needs a little pedal tostarte, but hey whats wrong with a little bit of soot coming out of the pipe when it starts?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These trucks dont need pedal from the factory. Chris

·
Cummins Crazy
2,317 Posts
won't start without pedal

BDC1,

If the filter is low after you shut off overnight, then you will take pedal to start. Air is getting in the system.
The overflow valve is what you were referring to earlier needs to be replaced if your pressure is low. Do you have a gauge?
Let me know how you make out.
WAYNES WORLD

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am no mechanic, but my 12er needs pedal.....only when it's cold though....It is my understanding that because these are strictly mechanically injected with no computer assistance to change timing or fule delivery when cold, that it may need a little help from your right foot from time to time to get her fired up.....If it's needed when it's warm their may be a air or fuel leak in the system somewhere....

·
Registered
398 Posts
it says it right on the inside of the drivers sun visor...in cold weather starts you are supposed to use the pedal and bring the idle up to 1000rpm for a few seconds...mine dosnt need it in temps about 40* but if its cold and i dont use any pedal it stalls every time...now if it does it in warm weather or after running for some period of time in during the day then u have another problem, prolly loosing prime. but cold weather, pedal starts are normal....from the FACTORY....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I understand that in cold weather they need a little pedal. My question is regarding warm weather and even warm weather with a warm truck. Chris

·
Cummins Crazy
2,317 Posts
won't start without pedal

BDC1,

Does it take a long time to start or are you giving it a little pedal all the time?

WAYNES WORLD

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
This is amazing. All these posts for a non problem. These relics are mechanical. Probably the last all mechanical vehicle engine made. There is NO computer to help start like every other thing on the road. Using a little pedal to start it is ok. You can set the idle up, but I prefer using a little pedal to start so I can get away with a lower idle.

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
I think we both might be relics from past Joe:)
Makes me wonder sometimes if there are many folks who could even get any pre 1980 vehicle to start.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts