Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

wont shift unless....

2257 Views 24 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  2001smoker
Iv searched and searched and havent found anything exactly like my truck is doing. my truck doesnt want to shift out of first gear unless i let off the throtle then it shifts fine and it shifts fine in every other gear with no problems. i can be hammerin on it or just cruising and when i let off it just jumps right in. :confused013: any help would be great.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
373 Posts
My 99 does the exact same thing and I've been trying to solve this for some time now. Just curious, have you adjusted the bands at all? Something else mine does is when I'm hard on the gas in 1st gear, it will come out of gear and just rev until I back off a little. The only other thing it may be is the governor pressure solenoid from what I have read. Mine also, depending on how much pedal pressure I apply will shift normally occasionally. Does yours have any of these symptons too? I would love to figure this out, it's driving me crazy and can't be good for the tranny.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow that is def exactly what my truck is doing, it just revs if i stay in the throtle in first and if i let off just a little it shifts fine, but if you have any kind of a load or hill it doesnt want to stay in second it jumps back to 1st.
i have adjusted the 1st band i beleave it is from the outside of the tranny and hasnt changed a thing.....
:S:

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
Both of you should make sure the throttle cable is properly adjusted. The small lever on tranny should be completelly forward with throttle closed. It should not bind or hang when moved through its travel range to wide open and back. I have seen some tranny that require a slight amount of slack in this cable. Perhaps .020 inch before throttle starts moving lever. The next possibility is a sticking or erratic gov pressure solenoid. I personally would run a governor pressure test with gauge while driving. See FSM
Low/reverse band adjustment is internal. KD band (2nd gear) adjustment is external. Very common they need adjusted. When threads on adjustment no longer proturde past jamb nut, the band is worn out.

· Registered
373 Posts
Dozer12216 your info on the throttle cable might have something to do with our problems. About a year ago, I brought the truck to the dealer (mistake), with the problem of the truck not shifting out of second. After some tests, they told me the 'kickdown' cable needed to be replaced. Is this the same cable you speak of? Anywho, they replaced the cable and adjusted and my wife brought the truck home. When I drove it, my truck now wouldn't shift out of 1st, like it is now and along with ' r450rider '. The dealer told me my tranny was screwed. What would you suggest happened when they put in the new cable and moved my shifting problem from 2nd to 3rd, to 1st to 2nd? Thanks in advance

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
Yes, Kickdown(KD) and TV cable same. Adjustment and smooth return is important. Continued operation with TV cable maladjusted can easily cause tranny failure.

· Registered
373 Posts
From what I've read before about this adjustment, it is safe for me to adjust, or should I have a expert tackle this? R450rider, I think I may have taken over your thread, but as soon as I seen your problems I had to try to resolve this with you and hopefully all this info will solve our problems. Thanks everyone.

· Registered
894 Posts
im just addin a bump b cause my trans does this in o/d 1=2 2-3 ok o/d i have 2 lift. and i dont have a 2 gen trk but it may have similar issues.:party018:

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kybel, no problem im just trying to take all the info in possible and see what we can figure out!

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mine has a very smooth return, also iv had the truck for 3 months and it shifted great then i went to drive it one day and it just started out of know where one morning it didnt even give me any signs the day before.
i just dont get it!:banghead:

· Premium Member
696 Posts
Are both of your trannies stock? If so it could be time to have it rebuilt. My trans did exactly the same thing as both of yours. It was even worse in the winter. I put in a Trans-Go shift kit hoping to cure the problem but it didn't. Once the trans was rebuilt it works like it should. I know this is probably not the answer you want to hear but just wanted to throw in my .02.

· Registered
373 Posts
Mines stock with about 120,000 miles on it.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes mine is completely stock with 136,000,
i just dont see how it could need rebuilt when it doesnt slip one bit and how it just did this over night, with all the electric bs in these trannys i feel it has to be something like that.

· Registered
406 Posts
Rebuild because it sounds exactly like a broken or fractured "ratio lever". $24 part from sun coast but you have to take the whole thing apart to fix it.

· Registered
57 Posts
just went through the same thing with mine. started doing it @ 195,000 on stock trans. one day worked fine and next day wouldn't shift to second unless i backed off. :doh: I just had it rebuilt because of mileage and 2nd gear band was GONE! Just my .02, hopefully that's x what's causing yours.

:confused013:

· Registered
66 Posts
Mine 01 Does about the same thing.when I take off I have to let off at 18rpms then it will shift into 2nd but if i get in it just avg. it seems to slip but then sometimes it doesn't slip but still have to shift it like that.

· Registered
608 Posts
I would suggest adjusting the bands and the TV cable. I adjusted the bands on mine and the first time I did not get it right and then it would not shift out of first. Went back with the torque wrench and took my time and it started shifting correctly again. My TV cable just needed to be changed. It had 270000 on the clock and adjusting it did not help. Once I put on the new one, just followed some directions I got from this forum and I could tell that there was an issue with the older cable. SO I would suggest lookin at these two areas.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.