Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am completely stuck in trouble shooting my truck. Currently my 2006 wont crank and this is the story of what happened and what I have done to try and figure this out. My BD GT was left on via the small switch on the OBDII port for a day and a half which killed the batteries. Get up for work on Monday and it won't start charge and jump the batteries get it going and go to work. go to leave work apparently the batteries did not charge so had a buddy jump me and it starts right up and I head home. Get home and now it wont even crank. Replace both batteries with new NAPA 875CCA batteries during which the intake manifold relay studs broke off. Replaced the relay and still no luck. Checked the main engine grounds, wire brushed the driver side block ground and put back together still no luck. Pulled the starter and bench tested it works fine. Test the 12V feed for the starter at the starter checks out 12V. This is where I am starting to think TIPM; checked the solenoid control wire and discovered I am only getting 8V at the starter connector. Traced the wire up to the connector at the cab and rechecked the voltage still around 8V. Pulled the TIPM out and apart did not discover any obvious issues. Put everything back together and jumped the starter using the connector near the hood seam and she starts. What does everybody else think? I also tried various positions on the gear shift, a second key. Every time I turn it over I hear the TIPM relay kick but no crank. Other electrical oddities that are happening include: intermittent air bag light, steady ABS and break lights, when stereo is off entire black screen no time illuminated. Again I am stuck and looking for ideas before I lay down a ton of money for a TIPM. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sounds like a TIPM issue. The factory ones are sensitive to electrical fluctuations and water damage. I have never seen one, good or damaged, but Im very certain they are non serviceable and replacement only. The replacements are supposed to be a lot better.
The boosting can cause failure as well as loose and intermittent connections. This is all according to threads I have read here on the mighty CF.I think you are on the right track.

I hope someone with more experience will chime in.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Disconnect the batteries for thirty minutes and that may reset your TIPM. The same thing happened to mine, but I took it to the Local dodge dealer to have them reflash the Tipm to higher amp settings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for such quick replies. I left the batteries disconnected overnight so the TIPM should be reset.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Put a push to start button on the dash that gets power from the battery and supplies it to the starter solenoid. Works like a dream now!! Cheaper than a TIPM and probably more reliable. Maybe in the spring I buy a TIPM or if it totally goes down.

Reactions: Brelje

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The way I got mine going when it quit was to put a small solenoid in line with the one that was clicking on the left front fender and hooked the power source to the battery and then I could start mine normally with the key, until I got it repaired. The solenoid that is clicking when you turn the key gets it's power from the TIPM. When the TIPM decides not to send power to the relay the truck wont'start.
Looks like you did almost the same thing.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Update: Put a push to start button on the dash that gets power from the battery and supplies it to the starter solenoid. Works like a dream now!! Cheaper than a TIPM and probably more reliable. Maybe in the spring I buy a TIPM or if it totally goes down.
So you've bypassed the starter relay?

Check the yellow wire that runs from the relay to the starter. It'll go along near the starter power cable. That yellow wire will chaffe on the frame bracket and it'll short out and won't let the truck crank.

Reactions: Brelje
1 - 7 of 7 Posts