Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I began, I’ve already checked my fuel solenoid. I just rebuilt my motor. I’ve already ran the motor a little and it seemed to run just fine. I went to start it up again 30 days later and the motor doesn’t want to start. The motor seems to want to but doesn’t. I’ve checked my fuel lines to the ejectors and they have fuel at the ends. I’ve pumped the heck out of the prime pump located on the mechanical lift pump and the fuel filter has fuel inside of it.

I’m not sure what the problem is. I feel as though it’s a fuel issue/problem. I’ve installed new banjos, the p-pump has been rebuilt. Is it possible it jumped timing? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I’ve checked my fuel lines to the ejectors and they have fuel at the ends.
Some dribbled out when you cracked the line with the engine off, or some sprayed out when you cranked the motor with the line cracked? If you only checked the former... do the latter... Crack injector 1, crank till you make a bit of a mess, tighten it, repeat with 2, 3, 4 (if it's your problem... it will probably start and run rough after either 4 or 5 and you can do the last with it running). In my experience, the moment you think "they SURELY must be primed by now!" is when you're about halfway there :D

Does giving it some pedal change the way it sounds when you're cranking? Is it cranking strong at a reasonably high RPM (i.e.... did the batteries maybe fade after sitting a month?)

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up?

Timing jump is a very real possibility on a motor that's just been put together, too. Anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that if it's gonna jump, it'll do it very early on. Did you set the timing to stock or did you bump it some?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like it’s dripping, I didn’t crack it while turning over the motor. I will do that for sure and do each fuel line.

Giving it pedal did not change the sound. Good thinking on my batteries. They are in fact fully charge.

I have a fuel pressure gauge, but it isn’t work at the moment.

I advised the timing slightly when I assembled the motor. I’m thinking maybe I should put it back to stock?

What I’ll do is start with the fuel lines and make sure I make a mess just like you say. Then after that it’s still not starting I’ll check the timing. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts