Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put my new motor In my 2001 dodge 2500 24v 6sp, and I’m trying to figure out where the grounds are to the motor and how to get power to everything. If anyone to could shoot some pointers or help me out on how to do it, it would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
23,506 Posts
How about just plug everything in just like you unplugged the old one?

·
Registered
23,506 Posts
Did the chassis have all the harness, PCM, Dash cluster etc? What year is chassis and motor? What else is missing? What trani situation? Did engine have ECM? Sensors?

·
Registered
23,506 Posts
It is not as simple as how do wire it in. You to have all the right parts and computers and and they have to match the motor and more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did the chassis have all the harness, PCM, Dash cluster etc? What year is chassis and motor? What else is missing? What trani situation? Did engine have ECM? Sensors?
It was all in the post I made. I have the engine harness connected to all the sensors on the block I just need to find the grounds to the block and how to connect it to the fuse box and have power to everything. I have the ecm pcm etc.

·
Registered
23,506 Posts
The battery ground cables both go to bolt holes on the block on there respective sides, I believe the pdc grounds most things under in on the fender. The pcm has flat ground cable from it to the firewall for good measure. There is another flat cable between the bed and cab.
there is a small grounded form the ECM or harness to the battery or pdc.
The PDC is powered by the small able to the battery next to it.

Remember all ground is GROUND. The whole truck is one big ground. So long as the the Block, frame and cab and bed are all grounded together you can ground any ground anywhere.
There are a couple of other harness outlets that have ground wires that attach to places like the trani or transfer case or body near lights or trailer plug etc. Most of the computers have body ground or harness ground through the pdc. Most things are plug and play in the harness.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The battery ground cables both go to bolt holes on the block on there respective sides, I believe the pdc grounds most things under in on the fender. The pcm has flat ground cable from it to the firewall for good measure. There is another flat cable between the bed and cab.
there is a small grounded form the ECM or harness to the battery or pdc.
The PDC is powered by the small able to the battery next to it.

Remember all ground is GROUND. The whole truck is one big ground. So long as the the Block, frame and cab and bed are all grounded together you can ground any ground anywhere.
There are a couple of other harness outlets that have ground wires that attach to places like the trani or transfer case or body near lights or trailer plug etc. Most of the computers have body ground or harness ground through the pdc. Most things are plug and play in the harness.
god bless you man I’ve been trying to figure this out for weeks!!!! I have another question the grid heater I live in Texas in the south can I just do away with it and undo it from the harness or not connect it? Or do I need too

·
Registered
23,506 Posts
It is best that you have them hooked up so the systems sees them or just in case. However, you do not have to wait for them at all. You do not have to wait for the wts light to go off or anythnig, Just get in and start it like a gas rig in warm climates above about 35-40*. But it is best that everything is hooked up and all sensors are seeing what they want to see and not throwing any codes.

·
Registered
23,506 Posts
I may have missed it What year is the truck and what year is the engine? Harness?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.