Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I am installing a aux switch pack in my rig and have to snake a wiring harness from the engine bay through the fire wall to the switch pack in my center console. The end is about a 1 inch plug. All taking place on the driver side, the aux relay pack is located on top of the fuse box, wiring harness will run from there to the switches located in my center console, have about 12 feet of cable, so it needs to come through somewhere in the driver side area than over to the front of the center console. Anyone know of a good area there that I can sneak a good sized plug through? I'd prefer not to break out the hole saw, but I saw a spot where that may be an option, but figured I would do some on line searching before making sparks. TIA

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Use the plug for the clutch if you have an automatic
Yes to that suggestion, if you have an auto, you don't need a hole saw. Just use a 3/4" drill or such somewhere down by the pedals where there is room. You can install a rubber grommet so your wiring is protected (you can get grommets at Harbor Freight or any hardware store) when going through the firewall. You won't get moisture in there. I'm running wiring in my manual per the above suggestion. It's open to the engine bay, just above the carpet line, and it's been fine for me since 2012

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If you don't care and just want to blow holes through your truck, the clutch plate is the best spot. It will never be completely sealed and likely to rust over time, grommet or otherwise.

Before you go blasting me about my response, I have 20 years of professional experience installing and fixing vehicle wiring.

To the OP: There is very LARGE rubber grommet with a bunch of wires the lead to the underhood fuse box from the dash. This is a double grommet meaning one in the engine bay, one in the cab.

You can use this for snaking wires but you MUST be careful where you poke.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Daystar makes a Grommet that can be trimmed to the size of wire. Works well. I installed it in the clutch plate with no issue.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
But the clutch hole is already there. Pull the plastic cover drill a hole and add a grommet. Put the plastic cover back on and fish your wires through it. I add some windshield sealant around the grommet to make it water proof. When you sell it you can buy a new cover and it will look like new. No rust and no wire damage

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
If you don't care and just want to blow holes through your truck, the clutch plate is the best spot. It will never be completely sealed and likely to rust over time, grommet or otherwise.

Before you go blasting me about my response, I have 20 years of professional experience installing and fixing vehicle wiring.

To the OP: There is very LARGE rubber grommet with a bunch of wires the lead to the underhood fuse box from the dash. This is a double grommet meaning one in the engine bay, one in the cab.

You can use this for snaking wires but you MUST be careful where you poke.
The clutch plate he’d be drilling through is plastic, so it won’t rust. Then use the above mentioned daystar grommet- Amazon.com: Daystar, Universal Firewall Boot, Single, Accommodates 3/8" to 1" Diameter Wire Bundles, fits any vehicle that needs a wire loom, KU20040BK, Made in America , Black: Automotive

·
Registered
161 Posts
I’m looking at installing a ham radio and have the same problem. My truck is a G56 Laramie, and I pulled up the plastic tray were the 4 wheel drive shifter is for tradesmen trim. I was pleasantly surprised to see the top of the transfer case. I’m thinking about bringing the wires in from there. I haven’t crawled under truck to see what obstacles I may or may not encounter. But no holes to drill.

Hope that helps,

Chris

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I’m looking at installing a ham radio and have the same problem. My truck is a G56 Laramie, and I pulled up the plastic tray were the 4 wheel drive shifter is for tradesmen trim. I was pleasantly surprised to see the top of the transfer case. I’m thinking about bringing the wires in from there. I haven’t crawled under truck to see what obstacles I may or may not encounter. But no holes to drill.

Hope that helps,

Chris
I've got an NV5600 with the manual 4WD shift. I've brought wiring up through the transmission area for my backup camera as well as a couple of dead end power wires for anything I want to add in the future (like another camera, more lights, etc). I just drilled a hole and added a grommet to it. You have to drop part of the insulation above the transmission on the driver's side to get to it, but it's really easy to do. I added a hole because I didn't want to remove the shifter tower, as well I wanted the wiring to run next to it in an already covered location by the carpet to keep it incognito. Easy to see once you get in there what's going on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts