Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i noticed today my truck actually has no plug in for trailer lights..im only looking to do the standard flat type plug so i need running lights, turn signals and brake lights, and i guess backups lights too....(im not sure of those r on the trailers or not?) now when i look up under the truck around where the tail lights are there are a few small 2 prong type plugs just hanging down not connected..is this how the original dodge wiring was? can i get all my power from right back there off the lights or is that too much and i need to run leads all the way back? plz help lol...

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
Well, my truck was prewired for a trailer, all of the wiring was run along the driver side frame rail in a single bundle (which included the wires for elect brakes which the truck is wired up to a plugin under the dash to hook up a brake controller). from there im not sure how the factory had left them. When i got my truck the harness was just chopped off, i guess one of the PO's decided they wanted the plug :D

Another very simple solution is to spend the few bucks on one of those trailer plug kits that plug in to the main harness for each taillight and T-off to a 4-flat trailer plug. Thats what i did because i didnt feel like messing around with the old wiring, then i just spliced in my trailer brake wiring to the original ones running on the frame rail and plugged in my brake controller under the dash!

I had some mixed feelings about running the lights this way, but its been fine with everything ive towed, from my boat with 2 taillights and 4 markers to our 30ft goose with 6 taillights and a million marker lights. No issues with it at all and it was about a 5min install for that kit!

Edit: This is whats left of my factory trailer harness...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what your saying is there is already wires running from the front to he back for a trailer brake? and it would be ok to just splice into the power supplys for the tail lights to connect the flat trailer plug without overloading something? there is that big wiring harness on my frame rail too ill have to dig in there and see exactly whats left...

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
Yes, the truck is totally prewired for a trailer, including lights and provisions for trailer brakes. (i dont know if this was always standard or part of a tow package) Their is a connector hanging out under the dash for hooking up the brake controller, just gotta go to chrystler and pick up the plug that fits into it and splice that to the brake controller and its just plug-and-play from there!

As far as using the premade kits for hooking up traielr lights that T-off fromt he taillight plugs, like i said ive never had an issue with fuses or flashers and our goosneck has a zillion lights on it, so i figured if their was going to be an issue it would have happened!

If you do choose to install trailer brakes, this is the connector you will find hanging out under the dash (kind of up on the left hand side behind the park brake, it comes through the firewall with the main harness)

·
Registered
898 Posts
ha my wires are a burnt from a fire i had. hahaaaaa

·
Registered
300 Posts
Probably just a bad day at the factory, but the '97 came from the factory with no plug. That's normal, but they missed a wire. My dad bought the truck new and had the dealer add the hitch and 7-pin plug. He never towed anything with electric brakes, and I didn't either for the first couple years I had it. After several hours of troubleshooting, I found where the factory had terminated the electric brake power wire (the big one) in the bundle right behind the drivers tire, before the harness exits the body and heads down the frame. The prodigy harness fit the factory harness fine, but no work. I ran a new wire to the plug and no probs since. That said, the wires you need for the flat plug are probably there.

·
Registered
836 Posts
my 97 came with all the wireing but it also has a towing package. The pig tail for the trailer brake was in the glove box of mine gess I got lucky since I bought it in 07.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts