Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Weird Steering issue

The last few days, my truck feels like it is in 4WD while turning. It is not in 4WD

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Front universal joint/s bad.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
My truck started doing the same thing. Feels like it is in 4WD when turning. When parked I can turn to the right fine but it is hard to turn the wheels left.
Any input would be helpful. Thanks

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It only gets better

I think you must be right about the U joints. The problem was getting worse every time I drove it, until... It rained! Then it went away. All I can figure is the water lubricated the bad joint enough to settle it down.

The problem did not seem to be different regardless of direction.

Reactions: mdtouchet

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I think you must be right about the U joints. The problem was getting worse every time I drove it, until... It rained! Then it went away. All I can figure is the water lubricated the bad joint enough to settle it down.

The problem did not seem to be different regardless of direction.
Front drive shaft or axle U joints?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Its your front axle u-joints worn out. They get worn and cause that binding feeling you get in 4WD.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Its your front axle u-joints worn out. They get worn and cause that binding feeling you get in 4WD.
Is there ant=y to find out which one, or should I get both replaced?

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you get under the truck and grab the u-joint where it comes out of the axle you can probably wiggle it, or feel some slack. Might make a clunking noise if its real loose. Thats pretty well the best way I've been able to tell. If your mileage is high enough on the truck you could always ask to have them both changed while they are in there. I would recommend getting them to install greasable Spicer made u-joints as well so that you can maintain them

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
$850 - dealership replaced both u joints and the problem is now fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts