Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Finally at a point in my life that I can put a little money, like $1200 into my 2001, H.O, 6spd.
Currently bone stock,besides valair 400hp clutch and raptor 100 lift pump. 235k miles and as far as I know original VP44.

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a quad and injectors.

Having some trouble deciding if I want to tap the VP44. I could afford to replace a VP44 if I had to, but honestly don't want to.

not wanting to build a race truck or really have any goals, just wanting to make my truck a little more exciting to drive and as always get the best value.

So I'm looking for some guidance.

If I don't want to tap the VP44 and just use a quad for canbus tuning what size injectors should I get? Or is this just dumb?

Same if I do want to tap the VP44, what size injectors should I get. And is there any real consensus on if tapping really kills the VP?

Not looking to upgrade the turbo and I don't tow, but am looking at getting a camper in the next couple of years.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Tapping the VP44 does not harm it one bit. What kills the injection pump is lack of fuel. It's good you have replaced the stock lift pump with a Raptor pump. Install a good quality fuel pressure gauge as well before you make any other upgrades. I would also recommend boost and pyrometer guages.

The Quadzilla Adrenaline v2 is definitely the way to go. You can run a larger injector without having the air to match since the Quad lets you de-tune the fueling. A set of RV275 or 7x0.0085 would be an appropriate injector choice with a stock turbo and custom tuning.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tapping the VP44 does not harm it one bit. What kills the injection pump is lack of fuel. It's good you have replaced the stock lift pump with a Raptor pump. Install a good quality fuel pressure gauge as well before you make any other upgrades. I would also recommend boost and pyrometer guages.

The Quadzilla Adrenaline v2 is definitely the way to go. You can run a larger injector without having the air to match since the Quad lets you de-tune the fueling. A set of RV275 or 7x0.0085 would be an appropriate injector choice with a stock turbo and custom tuning.
Thank you

·
Registered
239 Posts
Are those 100hp or 150hp?

150hp.

2002, 2500 QCSB, Auto, 4x4,HX35/40 hybrid 62/67/12, 7x 10 DAP injectors set at 325 bar, ARP head studs, Nations alternator, 3rd gen brakes, Pac Break PBRX exhaust break, Timbrens, Dynamic valve body, single billet converter, lockup switch, W-T ground mod, 4” MBRP exhaust, Isspro gauges, big line kit, Raptor 4G 150, LPW double deep trans pan, Quadzilla V2

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
150hp.

2002, 2500 QCSB, Auto, 4x4,HX35/40 hybrid 62/67/12, 7x 10 DAP injectors set at 325 bar, ARP head studs, Nations alternator, 3rd gen brakes, Pac Break PBRX exhaust break, Timbrens, Dynamic valve body, single billet converter, lockup switch, W-T ground mod, 4” MBRP exhaust, Isspro gauges, big line kit, Raptor 4G 150, LPW double deep trans pan, Quadzilla V2
Thank you

·
Registered
8,493 Posts
Gonna need a boost elbow for that turbo too, and adjust it to allow 35psi boost.

Also highly recommend the vp44 stealth plate for performing the wiretap. It's a much safer design for long term wiretap install.

My original quad wiretap came loose and stopped working after about 8 or 9 years of being tapped. I installed a stealth plate in its place as I didn't want to attempt to re-tap the wire.

Reactions: Ram Jam

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
7 x .010 's without wiretap will have great power / fatter torque curve, no heat or smoke issues and get great MPG.
So that would be just with canbus tuning then? 7x10 still good with wiretap?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gonna need a boost elbow for that turbo too, and adjust it to allow 35psi boost.

Also highly recommend the vp44 stealth plate for performing the wiretap. It's a much safer design for long term wiretap install.

My original quad wiretap came loose and stopped working after about 8 or 9 years of being tapped. I installed a stealth plate in its place as I didn't want to attempt to re-tap the wire.
Thanks for the heads up on both, forgot about boost elbow.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
So that would be just with canbus tuning then? 7x10 still good with wiretap?

You don't need wire tap with 7x10s for what your looking for.
Unfortunately your going to need a VP soon if not now.If you read a post on this subject the other day where someone put new stix in and the old VP wouldn't pop the new injectors open.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts