Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Wire identification - top of the valve cover

1249 49
Hey there - I inhereted this beast from my pops a couple years ago. Finally saved up the money for the 4x4 conversion and fresh paint and body work. She's always ran great but after getting her back from the conversion she feel's like a slug. Planning on having her looked at soon by Sin City Diesel out here in vegas. I'd like to get 3k gov springs, have the fuel plate adjusted, and the fueling screw set / possibly timing set to 16°. I want her to be reliable above all but she's not boosting nor putting out any black smoke like she used to. I think she tops out around 18-20lbs where are before she'd hit 30lbs with no effort. Not that I'm after smoke but its something I noticed it doesn't do anymore. And possibly not going into overdrive, but this is a 3k built 47rh so not sure where to start. Anyway when browsing under the hood I noticed this wire...curious if anyone has any input what it's connected to and or what the heck its for. If you made it this far - thank you lol. This whole thing has been a journey. When she's back from paint in mid october i'll post some photos. 285/75's tomorrow after work!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Wood Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Combat vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
jumped the gun on that, found out they're not necessary. i'll return them and probably the tools to do the other items. the more i look into it i'd rather just pay to be sure it's done correctly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
i actually ordered valve seats mistakenly, was trying to find a list of stuff to get done at that same time as valve springs. the seats were only 10$ so if you one of you wants them you can have them. i'll toss em in an envelope, i'd be surprised if this truck gets anymore than a few thousand miles a year on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
hoping to get things squared away before thanksgiving. want to drive it down to san diego and show it to my nana while i still can. this was the first brand new vehicle her and my pops bought

·
Registered
17,763 Posts
What is it you think is an EB? An EB would be in the exhaust system, typically replacing the elbow behind the turbo but sometimes installed farther back toward the muffler.

An EB only works with an automatic when a "mystery switch" is installed to keep the torque converter locked up while decelerating.

Reactions: Jmarc77

·
Registered
208 Posts
This is what an exhaust brake looks like. It mounts right behind the turbo and I
can see you do not have one in place.
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

The part you showed in your initial post is this-
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

That is the spool valve that activates the brake by sending vacuum to it. If you have an automatic, you need a converter lockup controller for the exhaust brake to actually work. It has a separate 3 position switch, which locks up the torque converter when the exhaust brake is activated so you aren't losing all the braking effect in the converter and overheating the transmission. I don't anything about the 47RH so I have no idea if there is a lockup controller for them or how different it would be from a 47RE controller.

The lockup controller looks like this-
Electrical wiring Gas Motor vehicle Audio equipment Auto part

If you aren't towing anything heavy there is no reason to really have it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
thank you! i was trying to identify the thing with the bd sticker on the left side of the trans in my photo. i have the spool valve installed so i'm sure at some
point my pops had an exhaust brake, i don't think its there anymore though. Going through this thing trying to see whats been done / what needs to be done

41 - 50 of 50 Posts