Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Anton - if my pops had an exhaust brake installed on this would he have had 60lb springs done too? he always had work done by reputable shops, spared no expenses and kept this thing on the reliable side above all

·
Registered
208 Posts
Anton - if my pops had an exhaust brake installed on this would he have had 60lb springs done too? he always had work done by reputable shops, spared no expenses and kept this thing on the reliable side above all
Most exhaust brake manufacturers highly recommend 60 lb exhaust springs so it "should" have them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
nice! so 4k gsk, even with no intention of going that high shouldn't be an issue. so as i'm learning i'm leaning towards
16° timing
#6 fuel plate
230hp bosch injectors (440$ on rockauto)
4k gsk

·
Read Only
3,599 Posts
No, still an issue. The exhaust brake manufacturers recommend +60 pound springs on the exhaust valves ( only the exhaust valves).

So unless someone went above and beyond, the intake valve springs are likely still stockers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
lol ****.
well thank you guys i appreciate it. blew a little bit of my performance budget on a .308 a couple hours ago so we may revisit this in a month or two. any idea on labor hours for the above services?

·
Read Only
3,599 Posts
lol ****.
well thank you guys i appreciate it. blew a little bit of my performance budget on a .308 a couple hours ago so we may revisit this in a month or two. any idea on labor hours for the above services?
Can’t help with labor hours estimate, I do my own work that way I know it’s done right. The downside is it usually takes me way longer than I expect.

·
Registered
17,739 Posts
230hp bosch injectors (440$ on rockauto)
Injectors are classified by hole count, the size of the holes and the spray angle. What I believe you are looking at are marine injectors, with the wrong spray angle for the piston bowls we have. 230hp is a meaningless description.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
injector recommendations? for 3-350 hp

also how can i tell if its not going into overdrive? it used to cruise at 70 no prob. now this is what i got

sorry for the quality, on my way to logandale to ride

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Sky

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door

·
Read Only
3,599 Posts
Is the boost reference hose connected to the AFC? With that low of an EGT you aren't fueling much.

Here's a picture of the boost reference hose, is just a little plastic hose that sends boost reference to the AFC. Without it the AFC will always think that your not building boost and hold the fuel rack position back so as not to cause black smoke.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Engineering Gas

·
Registered
17,739 Posts
Pretty sure thats a 24 valve injector..
Corrrect 98-02

In addition it is only the nozzle. Complete 24 valve injectors cost way more.

Reactions: majorbison

·
Read Only
3,599 Posts
injector recommendations? for 3-350 hp

also how can i tell if its not going into overdrive
If your sure you never want to go past 350 hp, then stock 97 manual trans truck injectors will work just fine (those are 5 x 10.5) . If you'd like to leave yourself a little room for the future (because the desire for more HP never really stops), then a 5x12 is a good choice as well, something like this;

Can't help with the auto trans questions, the only thing I know about 2nd gen automatics is that I don't want one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
thanks gents, i will check that hose. i'm a little sore lol ate **** a couple times. got back to the truck to see some atf on the ground. got underneath saw an inspection cover is missing and some hard lines don't seem to go anywhere. that BD thingamajig is installed apparently, how is it actuated?

this trans has maybe 500 miles on it

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tire Vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Auto part

Font Material property Parallel Handwriting Paper

·
On call 24/7
13,609 Posts
If it’s going into lockup, you’ve got 4.10 gears

21 - 40 of 50 Posts