Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there - I inhereted this beast from my pops a couple years ago. Finally saved up the money for the 4x4 conversion and fresh paint and body work. She's always ran great but after getting her back from the conversion she feel's like a slug. Planning on having her looked at soon by Sin City Diesel out here in vegas. I'd like to get 3k gov springs, have the fuel plate adjusted, and the fueling screw set / possibly timing set to 16°. I want her to be reliable above all but she's not boosting nor putting out any black smoke like she used to. I think she tops out around 18-20lbs where are before she'd hit 30lbs with no effort. Not that I'm after smoke but its something I noticed it doesn't do anymore. And possibly not going into overdrive, but this is a 3k built 47rh so not sure where to start. Anyway when browsing under the hood I noticed this wire...curious if anyone has any input what it's connected to and or what the heck its for. If you made it this far - thank you lol. This whole thing has been a journey. When she's back from paint in mid october i'll post some photos. 285/75's tomorrow after work!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Wood Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Combat vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i appreciate all your replies. this truck when it was 2wd had a bd trans and trans brake but the gentleman i paid to do the 4x4 conversion said the trans shop wouldn't change out the tail shaft. i ended up giving him the bd trans for 800$ credit towards a 2900$ 47rh rebuild. i don't think the trans brake is still on my truck, i'd have to look.

its a 95 on a 98 frame.

i need someone to go through this thing, it feels a lot different then it did before i had the swap done. it feels slower somehow, it defuels around 2200 rpm which i hear is normal but now it can't get anywhere close to 80mph. Pretty sure its the same ratio i had before albeit on a dana 80 (donor frame was a '98 nv4500)

i called my local shop and i'm excited to get it it in but they're pushing a FASS and all that. I just want it to run well stock and keep up in traffic. if anyone knows a good cummins shop in vegas or southern utah or southern california that can help me with modest goals please let me know. I don't want 900hp. I'd be happy with like 250/600ft lbs of torque and 3k redline

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i agree. they never emailed me the proposal so not sure they're interested. i'd like to get:

change tensioner and belt
oil change
fuel filter change
check intercooler couplers
vacuum lines
adjust tps
16° timing
fuel plate
fuel screw
3k gov springs

any idea what i'd be looking to spend on all this? 2k cover it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the star wheel screw? fueling screw maybe? afc perhaps. it slips my brain at the moment. pack up your tools and ill fly you and yours out to vegas for a week so i can have someone knowledgeable and trustworthy handle it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol i'm an elevator man so being an expensive whore is also a hobby of mine. i have more money than i have time these days and with the sentiment of the truck i sure don't want to ruin it. hell at this point i'm probably 13k into it. after paint and body i'll be a bit more but i'm so stoked. i know i'll never beat my brother's built 6.0 power stroke in a race but i'll for damn sure outlast it haha. it has some sort of fuel plate in it already. i guess i could try to find a shop to change plates and gsk and timing. Anything else i should look into getting done? also your thoughts on timing degrees and which fuel plate?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
goals would be comfort at highway speeds, reliability, maybe economy. I don't have anything to tow yet, can't imagine i will anytime soon. maybe tow a goose neck camper 1 way upto utah at some point if i'm lucky. either way i'm grateful for the guidance!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Anton - if my pops had an exhaust brake installed on this would he have had 60lb springs done too? he always had work done by reputable shops, spared no expenses and kept this thing on the reliable side above all

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
nice! so 4k gsk, even with no intention of going that high shouldn't be an issue. so as i'm learning i'm leaning towards
16° timing
#6 fuel plate
230hp bosch injectors (440$ on rockauto)
4k gsk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
lol ****.
well thank you guys i appreciate it. blew a little bit of my performance budget on a .308 a couple hours ago so we may revisit this in a month or two. any idea on labor hours for the above services?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
injector recommendations? for 3-350 hp

also how can i tell if its not going into overdrive? it used to cruise at 70 no prob. now this is what i got

sorry for the quality, on my way to logandale to ride

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Sky

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
thanks gents, i will check that hose. i'm a little sore lol ate **** a couple times. got back to the truck to see some atf on the ground. got underneath saw an inspection cover is missing and some hard lines don't seem to go anywhere. that BD thingamajig is installed apparently, how is it actuated?

this trans has maybe 500 miles on it

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tire Vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Auto part

Font Material property Parallel Handwriting Paper

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
here we goooo

ordered hydraulic trans hose kit
5x0.012 injectors
boost elbow
60# intake / exhaust springs
new valve seats
4k GSK
adjustable OFV

just need a fuel plate

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
jumped the gun on that, found out they're not necessary. i'll return them and probably the tools to do the other items. the more i look into it i'd rather just pay to be sure it's done correctly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
i actually ordered valve seats mistakenly, was trying to find a list of stuff to get done at that same time as valve springs. the seats were only 10$ so if you one of you wants them you can have them. i'll toss em in an envelope, i'd be surprised if this truck gets anymore than a few thousand miles a year on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
hoping to get things squared away before thanksgiving. want to drive it down to san diego and show it to my nana while i still can. this was the first brand new vehicle her and my pops bought

1 - 19 of 19 Posts