Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time to replace my stock battery clamps with military clamps. Looking at the FSM the starter cable is gauge 00 E, the one that crosses to the aux battery is 0 E and the big negative wires are 0 E gauge. The other wires are listed as I believe to be normal, i.e., 6, 8, 10 & 14. What is the difference in 00 and 00 E gauge, as well as 0 and 0 E?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Not sure what the E is all about could be the jacket. If I remember the battery to battery is 0/0 and battery to starter is 1/0

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure that 1/0 and 0 are the same thing and that 0/0 and 00 are the same as well. The jackets on all the wires appear to be the same material. I just don't want to end up with the wrong terminals.

·
Registered
13,102 Posts
Type e vs. ee has to do with the shielding/jacketing, basically e is rated for 600v whereas ee is rated for 1000v.

Here's an easy way, from small to big:

14 12 10 8 6 4 2 1/0 2/0 3/0 4/0 250 etc.

The amount of zeros correlates as such, 0=1/0 00=2/0 and so on. Pronounced two aught.

Then you've got stranded and solid, example: 4 solid isn't the same size as 4 stranded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just had to do this job also. Seems the previous owner or someone decided to sever the cables on the driver side battery but couldn't get all the way through and left them. I'm surprised the truck made it all the way from Albuquerque NM to San Antonio like that and with a screwed up thermostat. I just love finding everything the previous owner did half assed.

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can just swedge new terminals on the old wires.
That is my intent. Awhile ago there was a tip to melt the old clamps off with a torch, which is my plan. I was asking about the wire size before ordering lugs.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
That is my intent. Awhile ago there was a tip to melt the old clamps off with a torch, which is my plan. I was asking about the wire size before ordering lugs.
If you cut them off at the clamp there still long enough because the terminal adds length.

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually I need a bit more length. Optima batteries stretch some of the wires to their max.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts