Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Winter wheel - 16" or 17"?

1157 6
Is there any really good reason to go to a 17" rim, or should I stay with the stock size?

I'm getting some new winter boots and wheels for the truck.
It's a '99 2wd extended cab. My first truck so help me out here.

I realize perhaps there is a particular tire that may only be available in 17, but I'm looking at the Bridgestone Blizzak W965 245/75R16 from Tirerack for the stock size tire unless someone can point me in a better direction. There is a local shipper up here in Canada that deals with them so the price point is pretty good.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'd stick with a 16" for a 99'MY truck. Tires for the 16's are cheaper as well. Stick with a narrower tire for snow and ice like a 235/85/16.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
The only reason to go with a 17" tire is for looks or to get 3rd gen brakes on a 2nd gen truck. 16" rims will not clear the bigger calipers. I am not sure what years this will work on. As I recall there is something about this in your 98.5-02 tech section.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok got a set of stock rims and some Bridgestone Blizzak W965 235/85/16, and here's what they look like:

How do they ride? Simply awesome so far.
I do have a fair bit of weight in the back but starting stopping and handling are SO much better than than the old worn out Mastercraft Coursers.
The owner of the shop, (I did not buy them there, just mounting) walks by, looks, and the only thing he said was "I don't think you could've bought a better winter tire".:D

Not sure what pressure the shop put them at, any suggestions?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ok got a set of stock rims and some Bridgestone Blizzak W965 235/85/16, and here's what they look like:

How do they ride? Simply awesome so far.
I do have a fair bit of weight in the back but starting stopping and handling are SO much better than than the old worn out Mastercraft Coursers.
The owner of the shop, (I did not buy them there, just mounting) walks by, looks, and the only thing he said was "I don't think you could've bought a better winter tire".:D

Not sure what pressure the shop put them at, any suggestions?
Max is 80psi, I run 60psi in mine and they seem fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts