Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone recently tinted their whole windshield? My truck has sensitive wipers and auto dimming brights.

Wondering if any had any issues with it and if the tint is able to adhere over the dot matrix. I do not want any visible white lines.

I'm thinking about going with 35% tint....I'm also aware of the stste laws as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
We had the upper portion of our windshield tinted with very dark ceramic tint. The entire "dot matrix" area that surrounds the mount for the mirror was tinted. No issues.

Not sure I quite understand your rationale for tinting the entire windshield. In our area, reputable tint shops will refuse to install tint on the entire windshield unless it's almost clear and/or medically prescribed. The one person I know who did this (with a medical prescription) did say their a/c worked dramatically better afterwards (even clear tint can block a lot of UV's and infrared).

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Anyone recently tinted their whole windshield? My truck has sensitive wipers and auto dimming brights.

Wondering if any had any issues with it and if the tint is able to adhere over the dot matrix. I do not want any visible white lines.

I'm thinking about going with 35% tint....I'm also aware of the state laws as well.

Thanks
Yes, no issue what so ever. I went with a ceramic that lets 80% light through but blocks nearly ALL the heat.

I would do it again in a heartbeat as the ceramic tint is a godsend when we travel to Arizona.

I paid nearly $300 for the right shop to do the front. I highly recommend you speak to a few shops, check their long term reputation and ask them if they hand cut or have the film cut by a cnc cutter. The latter makes a difference unless you don't care if joe-bob cuts your window seals when creating the front film.

·
Registered
239 Posts
yes, ceramic film applied at a reputable shop is almost invisible and blocks a tremendous amount of heat. We had it done on a new suv, considerably cooler now. I believe this will be first modification to any new vehicles at our house, would do my old truck but the windshield already has a crack in it and not ready to replace yet

·
Cummins Freak
3,252 Posts
The Po Po around here are starting to ticket people with tinted windshields!!!Just saying...……..

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I am at the point of having mine done with the clear heat blocking film. The heat that comes through these windows is to much for me. As for an actual visible tint on entire front windshield, illegal in every state and almost everyone eventually meets that officer who tickets them and they have to remove it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
For those with the heat blocking film I have a question.

My state allows clear heat blocking tints on the front windshield, but it can not present a mirrored or reflective surface. Anyone have any issues with reflection/refraction presenting a mirrored or other than clear surface?

I ask because I have the clear heat blocking film (3M) on my house and in certain conditions it does present a goldish mirrored reflection.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have a limo tint brow and a full 35% tinted windshield (all ceramic). The only downside is the auto-on headlights come on a hair sooner than normal. The wipers and high beam sensor is built-in to the mirror, so that isn't tinted.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had LLumar Air80 on my windshield and recently had my windshield replaced..gonna be another week before my tint guy can get to the shop to redo it, the difference here in AZ is huge. If it's done right you will not even know it's on there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i have 5% all around and a 35% windshield and i would do it all over again. truck stays cooler. i paied a shop to do it all. high quality ceramic tint. roll windows down right away. it gets taking used to at night but other than that its great privacy. pic taken after it was done with paint correction and ceramic coating

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
i have 5% all around and a 35% windshield and i would do it all over again. truck stays cooler. i paied a shop to do it all. high quality ceramic tint. roll windows down right away. it gets taking used to at night but other than that its great privacy. pic taken after it was done with paint correction and ceramic coating
I'd love a tint like that. Unfortunately, in my neck-of-the-woods I'd be ticketed (possibly with guns drawn) in less than 24 hours :(

BTW, nice truck. Mega-dually---sweet!

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
IMO, it looks good if the truck just sat in a showroom. Functionally as a daily driven work truck, horrible. I hope for the sake of being a decent person, when and if you get pulled over you roll down all 4 windows to give the officer a little comfort when approaching the truck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks awesome. What is it like driving at night? Is it hard to see out of?

Also....is there a big difference between 50% vs 35%?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had 3 past trucks and my current truck tinted 5% all the way around and the windshield fully tinted 35%.

My 2011 mega cab had the auto stuff and didnt seem to effect the light and wipers.

So over 10 years and 4 trucks with this tint in Arizona, my wife was pulled over about 8 years ago in the mega cab and cited with a repair ticket, no fine. I did not remove the tint and nothing else ever transpired.

Dont be scared to tint that dark, unless you tow alot at night! Backing a trailer up at night aint gonna happen with the windows up!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'd love a tint like that. Unfortunately, in my neck-of-the-woods I'd be ticketed (possibly with guns drawn) in less than 24 hours :(

BTW, nice truck. Mega-dually---sweet!
That seems pretty aggressive with the guns. where are you from. And Thanks!

IMO, it looks good if the truck just sat in a showroom. Functionally as a daily driven work truck, horrible. I hope for the sake of being a decent person, when and if you get pulled over you roll down all 4 windows to give the officer a little comfort when approaching the truck.
i daily drive the truck and tow with it weekly. it gets some getting used to for sure but you should be aware of your surroundings. i would absolutely. i have a great deal of respect for the men and women in uniform and i dont wanna be the one to make their day harder.

thanks. its something that gets taking used to. but i came from a 97 k2500 winter beater with sealed beams and its comparable to that. i have a set of HID i am going to install but they have also been in the back seat for 3 months so could say its not a huge deal

the difference between 50 and 35 is hard to feel out. big part of it is the darkness of the side windows. co worker has same 35 windshield as mine but with 20 on the side and you can still see in the truck vs mine you cannot. but 5 on the side with 50 up front may give that same appearance. really just a matter of preference and what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Front windshield tint is only allowed above the AS-1 line (approximately 5" down from the top). If you run fill tint on the windshield, you are not legal https://www.tinting-laws.com/connecticut/

Myself personally, I feel all tint on driver/passanger windows should not be allowed. With all the way people drive nowadays, I like to be able to see that the other driver is paying attention and not sitting on their damn cell phone.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Front windshield tint is only allowed above the AS-1 line (approximately 5" down from the top). If you run fill tint on the windshield, you are not legal https://www.tinting-laws.com/connecticut/

Myself personally, I feel all tint on driver/passanger windows should not be allowed. With all the way people drive nowadays, I like to be able to see that the other driver is paying attention and not sitting on their damn cell phone.
How far down you can tint varies by state, but I do believe every state bans tinting the entire front windshield. I know people who have gotten warnings for their side windows being to dark, I know many people who had to remove it. Everyone I have ever known to tint the front windshield eventually got busted and had to have it removed. Va was more stringent then Fl, but front windshield in Fl will also get you pulled over eventually.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

thanks. its something that gets taking used to. but i came from a 97 k2500 winter beater with sealed beams and its comparable to that. i have a set of HID i am going to install but they have also been in the back seat for 3 months so could say its not a huge deal

the difference between 50 and 35 is hard to feel out. big part of it is the darkness of the side windows. co worker has same 35 windshield as mine but with 20 on the side and you can still see in the truck vs mine you cannot. but 5 on the side with 50 up front may give that same appearance. really just a matter of preference and what you are comfortable with.[/QUOTE]

In regards to your windshield, is there a white line where dot matrix is?

Do you mind sharing a close up picture?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts