Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 quad cab has significant buffeting inside with the windows down. It actually sounds like the pounding woofers from the car behind me but is coming from inside the truck, door panels, speakers, or something similar. Although it is loudest with a single window down, it occurs with any combination of windows. Has anyone else had this problem? It is not the exhaust, engine, or body panels but almost resembles a moan but goes on at any significant speed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine's an 03 quad and I get it too occasionally. Mostly with the rear windows down part way. I imagine it's just air turbulence resonating inside the vehicle. Does the pitch or tone of the pounding change if you raise or lower the window? I guess Dodge didn't put the truck in the wind tunnel with the windows down??

·
Registered
331 Posts
I get it in my mega with the back windows open from just a touch to half way. If I crack/open the front window on the same side it stops it. At least in a mega.

·
Registered
451 Posts
X3, It Is Some Sort Of Air Turbulance, I Have A Ford Crew Cab For A Company Truck And It Does It As Well With The Back Window Down,,its Kind Of Annoying To The Ears

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I had a 1994 Suburban that did this really bad. It was actually painful in the ears. I heard that described as "oil canning".

Actually I've been reasonably inmpressed with the megacab for that though. Not much issue at all so I find myself with the windows open much more than in previous vehicles I owned.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Pretty much every car or truck out there will do this if the conditions are right (one window or sunroof open and speed just right). If you crack another window, normally it will go away.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Pilot does it too!

Our '05 Pilot does the same thing. It's more economical to run with the A/C on and closed windows, plus you can hear the radio.

·
Registered
423 Posts
crack the sliding rear window a tab and all you ills will be cured. also reduces the buffett if just have the driver's window cracked a little.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
mine does it but only when i have the front two windows open, if i have the front two open and i crack both of the back windows the noise goes away.

·
08 Cummins
2,198 Posts
I noticed this on my Chevy Extended cab with just the front windows open. If I opened that back windows it went away. I haven't had my Quad Cab long enough to have the windows down to see if it does it as well. My friends Grand Cherokee does the same thing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the ideas. Cracking the rear windows hasn't helped but I am just now trying the rear slider. I have never cared much for those but since it is remote controlled from the front, easy enough to do. I've had buffeting before not normally to the point of only wanting to run with A/C like I am experiencing with this truck. It seems like the quads and megas have a bigger area for the noise to resonate. Maybe that's why they seem more affected?.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts