Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally figured mine out. Sometimes the drivers side window was the only one that worked. I first thought it was the window lock switch but after I soldered that switch together I still had the problem.

My problem ended up being the solder on one of the pins.
On the drivers door switch, the small wiring harness, the large yellow wire. The male pin where it sticks through the circuit board the solder had cracked allowing the pin to wiggle just enough not to make contact.

I guess it could be a different wire but I suggest checking those pins. You'll have to:
Take the switch out of the truck
Pry each of the switch covers off you don't have to take the two switches for the mirror adjustment off
Pop the switch apart
Look where the wiring harness pins stick through the circuit board. Mine was just a small crack around the pin. You could barely see it but it was enough.
Good luck, hope this helps

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I will look into mine. Mine has not acted up in quite awhile but sounds like you found a cure....................SRXtreme:yourock:

·
Registered
468 Posts
I wasnt as gentle taking mine apart ay you were. ended up busting it :doh:
I got one from the wreckers out of an 05. the truck had twice the miles that mine did and was sitting out in the rain without windows for a year, but works perfectly.... for now.:thumbsup:

·
Pursuing the Great Commission
9,779 Posts
getting those buttons off were a pain. Look closely at those solder joints. Also look at the joint next to it on the big board. The cracking is due to it trying to flex there with the 2 different boards. here are some pictures I took while i had mine apart, keep in mind the last 4 pictures I took with a microscope we use.

I circled the 2 solder joints that were cracked on mine.

·
Rescue Tower
10,811 Posts
Damn! I've never thought of looking that close. I've never seen a solid solder joint like that break, but then I've never looked that close. That's cool right there!

·
Registered
647 Posts
thats good stuff right there!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the tip and the photos. A few minutes in disassembly and a few seconds with the soldering iron and it works like new.:yourock:

·
Registered
56 Posts
switch

man i just took mine apart. One of the swtiches broke and hit me in the eye. but got it a part and sure sh*t they are broke. i have see this same thing on the dashes of the volvo class 8 trucks i work on. thnak you for the tip saved me $100

·
Registered
138 Posts
Same prob with the switch here. Thanks for the heads up bud!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I did mine a few months ago, after reading this post. It has been working 100% since. Thanks for the great post. BTW if it wasn't for your pics it would be almost impossible to see the crack without some magnificaton. I held my board up against your pics to find the crack on mine.................................SRXtreme

·
Registered
859 Posts
Since I bought this truck in January, the only window switches that would work were the driver master switches. Then I stumbled on this thread a few hours ago and got curious and pulled mine apart. Sure enough the exact same problem as everyone else. This seems to be a very common problem. Thanks for the post guys.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tech article submission anyone???

·
Registered
70 Posts
help guys..great thread mines been broke since I bought the truck a year ago..but for the life of me I cant get the switch houseing apart..its will come loose at the top where the mirror controls are but the other end no way and I'm afraid I'm gonna break it..any trick to gettin it apart other than simply removeing the screws? help.....

·
Registered
444 Posts
help guys..great thread mines been broke since I bought the truck a year ago..but for the life of me I cant get the switch houseing apart..its will come loose at the top where the mirror controls are but the other end no way and I'm afraid I'm gonna break it..any trick to gettin it apart other than simply removeing the screws? help.....
Let the whole switch assy warm up inside the house, remove the screws and pop off all the window up/down buttons. I used a medium size flat head to pry them up, just be cautious and do this gingerly. Other than those and the screws, there is only the little plastic clips along the side of the plastic housing. A small flat head works well for those. The key is to get the plastic to room temperature so nothing cracks......

·
Pursuing the Great Commission
9,779 Posts
i spent about 20 minutes looking for where the first button went when i popped it off and it flew across the room. Found it behind a filing cabinet in my office :doh:

Reactions: baileydale

·
Registered
70 Posts
i spent about 20 minutes looking for where the first button went when i popped it off and it flew across the room. Found it behind a filing cabinet in my office :doh:
lmao..err yah 1 of 6 mia..somewhere in this room..thanks a lot guys apart..now wait and see if my daughter will come by after while..my older eyes surly cant see there joints :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
lmao..err yah 1 of 6 mia..somewhere in this room..thanks a lot guys apart..now wait and see if my daughter will come by after while..my older eyes surly cant see there joints :)
I cleaned the contacts with a wire brush and added some new solder.

Just follow the pic and drop some solder on those bad boys....:party018:

·
Registered
70 Posts
you guys rock..20 min fixin and 30 min looking for the switch cover that went mia and now CORECTLY WORKING windows for the first time in almose 2 years
:thumbsup::worthy::woohoo::beer:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.