Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
Sometimes it’s hard to break old habits. If you’ve been driving gas burners since day 1, now you have your first diesel and your mind is wandering when your at the pump, it is possible. Especially if the nozzle fits in the filler tube.
Ah, so that's why some leave the engine running while getting fuel...to hear what type of fuel it uses.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sorry if folks took my statement about pushing the correct button the wrong way. But, I was taught many years ago that if a person does not use their head for thinking, said person just as well have two anal pores. And all it takes to push correct button is about a half second of thought.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I’ve witnessed diesels fill with gasoline twice before I bought my first Cummins and maybe it just scarred me but I’ve always been super careful about what handle I grab. I even try to avoid fuel stations that don’t have standalone diesel pumps.

I recently bought a Honda Civic to commute with, my girlfriend asked how long until I fill it with diesel on accident. Told her I wasn’t planning on doing that but I’d rather fill the Honda with diesel versus my Harley given the choice. Priorities you know?

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
208 Posts
At work we had a guy put E85 in a 2016 Cummins. He thought since the handle was a different color it must be diesel. Caught it right away and didn't start it, but then the towing company ended up starting it and driving it until it wouldn't restart. When we finally got it to the shop it wouldn't crank, had power but refused to crank (push button start). It definitely acted like something in the ECU was refusing to let it crank. We hotwired the lift pump to empty the tank and changed both filters and never had an issue with it. We put another 20k on it before it left and it had no issues at all.
We had a new driver do the same with a diesel Sprinter van, pulled up to a gas station couple of states away, sees pump over by itself with yellow handle figures it must be diesel pump. Fills tank full of E-85 and realizes his mistake when van dies pulling out of gas station.

Also had one of our newer Kenworth box truck start throwing several DEF codes about 6 years ago. Sent it down to dealer as it was still under warranty, dealer finds DEF tank half full of off road diesel! We were scratching our heads wondering how someone managed that. We then realized the DEF bulk tank, which is stored inside a shed, is right next to the off road diesel tank and they both have blue pump nozzles. We put a padlock on the diesel tank after that.

Of course the off road diesel nozzle would never have fit in the DEF tank so they must have dribbled it in. Where there is a will there's a way!

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
Of course the off road diesel nozzle would never have fit in the DEF tank so they must have dribbled it in. Where there is a will there's a way!
As they say, there's no point in trying to make things idiot proof. The idiots just keep getting better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Years ago I was working at a BP and some guy came in steaming mad. Where is your diesel?! I pointed to the diesel pumps on the side of the building he was parked out front by the gas pumps. Then screaming and pointing at this point. I just pumped 30 gallons of gasoline into my diesel truck. Why the F*** do you have a green handle on that pump? What am I supposed to do now? You’ve probably ruined my truck now! I said its green because the whole building is green the button YOU pressed says 87 octane. So it Looks like you are going to have to call someone and by the way that will be 75 dollars. I did not feel bad for him in the slightest.

·
Registered
445 Posts
We had a new driver do the same with a diesel Sprinter van, pulled up to a gas station couple of states away, sees pump over by itself with yellow handle figures it must be diesel pump. Fills tank full of E-85 and realizes his mistake when van dies pulling out of gas station.
When our fleet at work began to shift from exclusively diesel to introducing our first gas trucks we went through several Ford V10 motors that didn’t agree with having diesel fed into them. I think we lost 3 or 4 that were new enough they only had 5-10k miles on them at the time they drank the green fuel, involuntarily shut down, and needed a tow.

Reactions: tomk and Jimmy N.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, here's why I was concerned:
1. The nozzle SIZE was the same as the gas nozzle. I've never seen that before.
2. I was travelling and used an independent gas station that I haven't used before.
3. I was in the sticks, so I wanted to make sure that the pumps hadn't been retrofitted and they didn't change the indicators. You never know.

I felt (fairly) confident it was good. That's why I asked the question how I did, instead of "oh sh!t, did I mess up?"

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, here's why I was concerned:
1. The nozzle SIZE was the same as the gas nozzle. I've never seen that before.
2. I was travelling and used an independent gas station that I haven't used before.
3. I was in the sticks, so I wanted to make sure that the pumps hadn't been retrofitted and they didn't change the indicators. You never know.

I felt (fairly) confident it was good. That's why I asked the question how I did, instead of "oh sh!t, did I mess up?"
Well sir, in your opening post you specifically stated that you pressed the “DIESEL” button, so I think you were on the right path then and there........You were conscious enough to know that much!! LOL
I don’t really see it much here, but on the forums for brand X and brand Y Trucks; I see it fairly often where someone picks the wrong hose, but then presses the wrong button also!
And good on you for double checking if in doubt.

·
Registered
186 Posts
One of the funniest things I ever witnessed was a young guy, probably 21 or so, pulls up to the pump in front of me in his civic. Mind you this is at the diesel only pumps. He is on the phone. Swipes his card, pulls the pump handle out, presses the button and then looks perplexed as to why it won't fit. I just stand there watching and assuming that he is going to figure it out. It was like watching a toddler try to figure out why the square block won't go in the round hole. Then he goes next level. He decides he will just press the end of the nozzle to the filler neck and pull the trigger. He get a pretty good size burst of diesel that sprays out like when you put your finger over the end of the water hose. He has it all over his sleeve and pants. I am reduced to laughing so hard that I can't breathe. He is so genuinely perplexed by what has just transpired. He just hangs up the pump handle, gets in his car and leaves. I seriously had tears running down my cheeks from laughing so hard.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
When you pull up to the pumps there is a quick test. Look at your feet. If you have dirty boots on you will likely press the button for the correct fuel. If you have on crocs with socks or penny loafers without socks simply get in the truck and leave. Someone else should fill your husbands truck.
Another test that will catch the wrong fuel is the cetane test. In Texas we always dump the first gallon on the ground. Take two fingers and swipe a sample from the last part of the grounds gallon. Rub it between your fingers for two seconds then taste it. If you don’t smell sulfur you are good to go with a cetane rating of at least 40 and the proper lubricity. If the liquid evaporates quickly you will have to do a second test with another two gallons dumped on the ground. This is the reason pumps have both the dollar and gallons displayed on the pump. But, don’t worry. When you go into the store to pay you get refunded for the test samples. At least up to the seven gallon tests.

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
I like living dangerously, so the pumps and nozzles on my two 200-gallon steel tanks are identical. One has diesel, one has ethanol free gas.
There are also several totes with 325 gallons of fuel, that I use to replenish the steel tanks with. Could be diesel, could be gas.

Not only can I put the wrong stuff in a tank, I can then put the wrong stuff in a vehicle, assuming that I didn't already put the wrong stuff in the tank.
Maybe I should buy lottery tickets, since I haven't screwed that up yet?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I like living dangerously, so the pumps and nozzles on my two 200-gallon steel tanks are identical. One has diesel, one has ethanol free gas.
There are also several totes with 325 gallons of fuel, that I use to replenish the steel tanks with. Could be diesel, could be gas.

Not only can I put the wrong stuff in a tank, I can then put the wrong stuff in a vehicle, assuming that I didn't already put the wrong stuff in the tank.
Maybe I should buy lottery tickets, since I haven't screwed that up yet?
Guys, this is why taste testing is so important.

Reactions: tomk and Jimmy N.

·
Registered
14,425 Posts
Would it be safer to convert to propane? Those nozzles are decidedly different.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Would it be safer to convert to propane? Those nozzles are decidedly different.
So is the Tesla plug but i have seen people trying to fuel them up by the house and cant figure out how the gas hose attaches. We are pretty much doomed.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I installed the NOCO port plug to plug in in the winter. One day my son came home and asked why I had an extension cord going to the truck. I said I'm recharging the truck. He actually bought it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts