Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I stopped and got fuel at a small station. I verified the pump, pushed the diesel button and started filling. The handle was the same color and size as the other pumps, but I didn't notice the nozzle size it until I was done pumping. I felt and smelled the fuel and it was good and slickery like diesel. I even went inside and asked if they were sure I got diesel. they produced the receipt and said yes.

But this made me think..how would you know if you got gas in your tank before there was major damage. Will the truck sense it and go into limp mode or anything? Will it throw a code?

Just curious.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
Nope, truck has no way to tell if it is gas or diesel. Only can tell if it has water in it.

Reactions: hooked55

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
you may get water in fuel light, but you'll be able to tell for sure.

·
Registered
887 Posts
A good friend years ago put approx. 3 gals of gas in his tank before he realized it. He then put another 27 gals of diesel in his tank and continued on. The truck now has 300k on the Cummins with no issues due to the gas. I try to triple check the pumps especially at places I’ve not used before, and usually the gas pumps are much cleaner then the nasty diesel smellin, leakin pumps we need. Be careful, the truck doesn’t give any warnings unless its too late.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all. I hope they were right.

·
Registered
14,463 Posts
Today I stopped and got fuel at a small station. I verified the pump, pushed the diesel button and started filling. The handle was the same color and size as the other pumps, but I didn't notice the nozzle size it until I was done pumping. I felt and smelled the fuel and it was good and slickery like diesel. I even went inside and asked if they were sure I got diesel. they produced the receipt and said yes.

But this made me think..how would you know if you got gas in your tank before there was major damage. Will the truck sense it and go into limp mode or anything? Will it throw a code?

Just curious.

Thanks.
No, no warning until it's too late.

This is why you should always know the places where you buy fuel.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Another reason why I put a locking fuel door on my truck. i am the only one that controls what goes in the tanks. Def or diesel.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another reason why I put a locking fuel door on my truck. i am the only one that controls what goes in the tanks. Def or diesel.
Same here. Don’t want some enviro nutjob pouring sugar in there.

Reactions: hooked55

·
Registered
74 Posts
and usually the gas pumps are much cleaner then the nasty diesel smellin, leakin pumps we need.
I wondered why this was back in 05 so I called the number on the pump and asked why this is. The dude on the other end told me it's because gas evaporates and diesel being oil doesn't so it'll collect and gather dust and dirt.
I was like duh, why didn't I think of that!

·
Registered
396 Posts
The question is at what ratio does it become a problem? My dad put like 5ish gallons in his truck... tank was empty so he topped it off with the right flavor of fuel, and added some 2stroke premix and diesel additive to keep things lubed up. Never had an issue.

Friends dad added 91 to their diesel Mercedes SUV, made it about a half block. Not a cheap repair bill.

·
Registered
887 Posts
What if they added baby seal blood to make it look like off-road fuel? I would support that for my truck.
What, you don’t like baby seals? I’m confused.........

·
Registered
14,463 Posts
What if they added baby seal blood to make it look like off-road fuel? I would support that for my truck.
Takes a really twisted mind to think of something like that... :oops:

·
Registered
44 Posts
At work we had a guy put E85 in a 2016 Cummins. He thought since the handle was a different color it must be diesel. Caught it right away and didn't start it, but then the towing company ended up starting it and driving it until it wouldn't restart. When we finally got it to the shop it wouldn't crank, had power but refused to crank (push button start). It definitely acted like something in the ECU was refusing to let it crank. We hotwired the lift pump to empty the tank and changed both filters and never had an issue with it. We put another 20k on it before it left and it had no issues at all.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Valero stations around me have yellow handled diesel pumps, and so do most of the corn juice pumps I see. I guess I could see how somebody could make the mistake.

·
Registered
213 Posts
BUT...............doesn’t a person still have to push the correct button (likr the OP said he did) to turn the damn pump on?
The color of the handle should make no difference if ones head is not in a dark place!
It is not like rocket science To get the correct hose.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Sometimes it’s hard to break old habits. If you’ve been driving gas burners since day 1, now you have your first diesel and your mind is wandering when your at the pump, it is possible. Especially if the nozzle fits in the filler tube.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
thanks all. I hope they were right.
You hope who was right? If you got gasoline, you would have known it within less than a minute of leaving the gas station.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts