Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think the later generation 5.9's will last like the older 12 and even 24v? Not meanting to start a flame war but the 05 up trucks come with a lot more horsepower than older models. To my knowlege there is not a lot different in the bottom end of the 5.9's throughout the years. With added power comes added wear and stress right? I was just curious if any longevity is sacraficed in this extra power. I have stock 07 2wd and my buddy has stock 98 12v. The power difference is insane. Logic says his will out last mine? am i right? no?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I can tell you that my old 94 has never even had the head off and it was uprated to more than double it's oem hp rating way back in the day.The new heads are better now and the pistons are better too.I have customers that tow for a living and have not had a head off in 400k

·
Registered
593 Posts
thats what i like to hear. . . this is gunna be my last truck for a long time. . . she better last up to 500k if not. . . ill rebuild it (by then everything else on the truck will be replaced 3 times anyways)

·
Registered
630 Posts
My 2005 has over 400k miles without any issues yet.

HOLY SH*T!!!!!!!!! you already have 400k on that? what do you do that makes you drive so much? haha

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought it to make money, so that's what it has done. If it doesn't have a load to pull then there is not point in owning it. That's my theory at least. If I didn't need to pull then I would buy a 1/2 ton. Miles are just part of the game. Hurricane Katrina miles were the worst. Over 1000 miles per day. Two of us driving.

·
Registered
129 Posts
In theory, the commonrails would out-last the others simply because the multi-event injection creates a lesser explosion. 24 valves have more moving parts though. I guess there are a lot of variables but most important is how you take care of it.

·
Boiler up!
2,451 Posts
will the cummins last:hehe::hehe: ask a powershi## owner :hehe::hehe: but seriously older 12v's will outlast them all i think but i hope my older 24v will last as well

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bought it to make money, so that's what it has done. If it doesn't have a load to pull then there is not point in owning it. That's my theory at least. If I didn't need to pull then I would buy a 1/2 ton. Miles are just part of the game. Hurricane Katrina miles were the worst. Over 1000 miles per day. Two of us driving.
Yup I have a half ton now and I need to ditch it for your soul reason of towing haha

·
Registered
383 Posts
I wonder what will happen to the value of our trucks if Chrysler Corp. dissolves.

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
I didn't realize trucks had value? Buy for $50,000 and sell for $20,000 three years later. Doesn't look like value to me.

There is some value. But trucks are meant to be driven and used for towing, hauling, and what not. So the deppreciation on trucks is usually pretty high because everyone assumes they will be used and abused like they are designed to be so i agree with your statement Andy

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's a shame they sell them for so much money. We are lucky to get $2 a mile for hauling. After the bills and repairs it's a cut throat world. My truck was retired to local deliveries so now repairs are going up. Short trips are killers. Here's a fact most people like. My tranny is original !!! 400k miles. Yep. I am going to change the converter this weekend just for safety. Chances of getting a 48re this good are about as good a winning the powerball.

·
Registered
630 Posts
thats nuts! damn i am amazed. almost curious to see how far you could go until it failed. Now that'd be sweet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts