Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to bleed the system but motor will not start. I pulled the injectors to clean them and engine started right back. Checked the lift pump (diaphram pump) engine started right back. Pulled injector pump and had a seal installed (getting diesel in motor oil) and when I reinstalled it, cannot get the engine to run. I have been bleeding this system for 4 days and still will not fire. It has tried to run a little but shuts down while it is still turning over. I'm beginning to wonder if the pump was not damaged when they installed the seal in it. I have bleed these injectors before and I know it takes a while but they have never been like this. THere seems to be plenty of fuel going to the injectors, as before. i can tell that no fuel is making it through the injectors because the truck does not smoke at all when trying to start. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what is wrong?

·
Registered
314 Posts
check your shut off selonoid. its got 2 wires going to it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pump is keyed so you can't get it out of time. I will check the selonoid tomorrow.
If the selonoid is working properly, then I will just have to take the pump back off and have it checked, which will cost $150. Thanks for the thougths.

·
Cummins Fanatic/INJECTION PUMP TECH ADVISOR
436 Posts
There is enough movement in the slots of the injection pump to be way out of time but if that was the issue you would have smoke coming out the exhaust. Could be a shut off solenoid. Was the pump locked when you got it back? Did you unlock it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the selonoid is ok, when the key is on, you can connect the wire and it clicks. So I checked the volatge and it was 11.7 volts. I also rechecked the key just to make sure that it was in the slot and it is there. I have no idea as to why the engine will not start. The shop that fixed the pump said they would try to stop by in a few days and see if they can see any reason as to why it will not start. I have bleed everything enough times to start 3 engines.

·
Registered
40 Posts
when i rebuilt my pump i installed the shaft 180 degrees backwards.:banghead: I fixed this by rotating the gear 180 degrees started right up:headbang:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.