Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
will motor from 02 stick bolt in 99 auto (update)

my 53 block finally cracked after 290,000 miles. I bought a complete 02(with computer,turbo,lift pump,etc) that had a stick behind it. Will my wiring,fuel lines,edge ez,etc bolt in? any advice would be a great help.:headbang:

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
i think the only difference is the fuel lines to and from the fuel filter housing...oh and the map sensor plugs are different...

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
yeah i believe so...it should just be a different type of connector and thats it...

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
good luck with it and if you don't mind let me know if i was wrong about anthing and if there is anything else you have to do...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Obviously the ECM is different. And the '02 engine does not use the crank sensor. So you may or may not have an issue there. I took a call last week from a guy that made the same swap and could not get the engine to run above idle.

His solution was to add the tone ring and use the stock ECM.

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well here is an update got the engine in. all plugs except the fuel filter plugs(same color wires I just spliced them)and the map sensor and the oil pressure sensor all the other ones plugged in I just left the crank sensor unplugged. I used the computer on the block and the injection computer that were on the 2002. the engine fires up and runs for 30 seconds to 3 min then dies(like you turned the switch off) the tach works then goes to 0 in about 3 seconds, no oil pressure on the gauge (put a mechanical and has 65lbs of pressure)restarts with a little cranking (maybe 4 seconds) It has fuel pressure to the injection pump. any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
436 Posts
So you used the 02 ECM and VP44 with the '99 wiring harness???
Thowing any codes????
My guess would be the ECM not seeing oil pressure, and it's shutting the engine down.
Try using the '99 harness, sensors, ECM and VP44. I could be wrong but they might've changed the harnesses in '00, but I'm not 100% on that.

Sux to hear about you're 53 block, mine cracked @ 204,XXX mi. so I know what you're going through.:banghead:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks i'll try and switch the ecm today. don't know about the codes need to get a scanner on it and see

·
Registered
181 Posts
your 99 ECM will not work on the 02 engine.
I put a 2000 engine in my 01,I just plugged the engine harness in and it works fine.
I tried to change the ECMs so my cruise would work,it ran like crap,then smoothed out,and the tach dropped and the CEL came on,so I put the 2k ECM back on,works good now.
Still no cruise.
IF you decide to swap the stuff then you need to make sure to change the whole engine harness and the MAP and Crank Position sensor,I've heard most of the sensors are different.
I can't wait to see how that works for you,if well then I'll try it :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
well here is an update got the engine in. all plugs except the fuel filter plugs(same color wires I just spliced them)and the map sensor and the oil pressure sensor all the other ones plugged in I just left the crank sensor unplugged. I used the computer on the block and the injection computer that were on the 2002. the engine fires up and runs for 30 seconds to 3 min then dies(like you turned the switch off) the tach works then goes to 0 in about 3 seconds, no oil pressure on the gauge (put a mechanical and has 65lbs of pressure)restarts with a little cranking (maybe 4 seconds) It has fuel pressure to the injection pump. any help would be appreciated
You will NEVER get that thing to work without a crank sensor. If by chance it would run long enough for you to check everything out....look at your gauges....not working??? I just went down this road...had to pull the engine back out.....machine the block(12v block) for a crank sensor and use a crank with a tone-ring. Or you could rewire the truck to 01-02 specs. Enjoy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well I changed the ecm to the 99 ecm and it starts and runs fine with the edge ex on level 1 drove it down the road shifts fine (still no tach) but has oil pressure on the gauge. with the edge turned off and free reving it stumbles and puffs a little blueish smoke. I need to get it to a shop to get the codes. someone suggested getting a custom ecm? what next

·
Registered
148 Posts
well I changed the ecm to the 99 ecm and it starts and runs fine with the edge ex on level 1 drove it down the road shifts fine (still no tach) but has oil pressure on the gauge. with the edge turned off and free reving it stumbles and puffs a little blueish smoke. I need to get it to a shop to get the codes. someone suggested getting a custom ecm? what next
Charging system working??? Good luck!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Did you change the Crank position sensor?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts