Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I was thinking about putting a 1st gen cummins in a 1987 chevy 1500 4x4 so I was wondering if it would fit and how hard it would be to do any info you guys can give me would help

Thanks

·
Registered
916 Posts
have to do something about the crossmember there is a company that makes one that makes it a bolt on project the swap is very simple

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Considering it's a half-ton, I'd say don't bother. There's a reason they use a Dana 60 under the front of the Cummins.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yes it fits i own one and six or seven are around my area and yes all half tons and yes corp front ends ,they hold up if you keep the power respectable if you wanna do a fire breathing motor do the dana swap whats there to lose lol, as far as front not holdin up mines fine

·
Registered
916 Posts
yes it fits i own one and six or seven are around my area and yes all half tons and yes corp front ends ,they hold up if you keep the power respectable if you wanna do a fire breathing motor do the dana swap whats there to lose lol, as far as front not holdin up mines fine
correct the motor is not to heavy just to powerfull lol buddy has a 6" lift and when he put the motor in it only dropped about an inch in the front

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'd say 4bt would be your best bet.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I dunno...I have dreams of a 4bt. Better mileage, more room under the hood. A little less power, but I'd guess that other than a few pullers, few racers, and a few long haulers, most of the power from our trucks is totally wasted.

·
Registered
655 Posts
It's not the 10 bolt front I'd be worried about, it's the frame. I would much rather have a Dana 60 up front, but to each his own. 1/2 tons are noticably thinner in key areas than a 1-ton frame. Even having a 1-ton, I still wish I had boxed in the front half of the frame. A 4BT weighs around the same as a 454 and a 6BT is even heavier...1000+ lbs. I've got 5" of lift on the front and 3" on the back and it sits level, wasn't level when it was stock though. You don't have to lift the truck to make a 6BT fit, it helps, but is not at all required.

Putting a 4BT in these is a bit of a challenge because of motor mount placement and clearance with the power steering pumps. Not impossible, but slightly more work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts