Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, 07.5 w/ the Auto Trans, Doing all the Deletes and a Mini Maxx on the 60hp setting pulling my 45 foot 5th wheel that weighs roughly 17k, is this gonna kill my trans?

Also I always see everyone talk about the HP numbers on the Tunes but never the TQ numbers, what is the TQ gain with the Mini Maxx on the 60hp setting and isn't the TQ what we should be worried about when breaking or wearing stuff out?

Thanks

·
Smells like Bananas
7,240 Posts
A safe bet on the torque is about double your hp. On the 60hp (350hp on the ground) tune you will be around 700ftlbs, give or take a bit.

If you hammer on the skinny pedal you will hurt your tranny.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
If they would build the stock tranny as good as the cummins engine; it would last forever! lol But unfortunatly they dont. The tranny is the weak point on our trucks in my mind. It will EVENTUALLY fail on you whether you chip it or not. Adding a programer or a chip will only shorten the lifetime of your tranny (even if you put it on the lowest setting). If you plan on doing some more mods in the future, I would be looking and saving for a BUILT tranny (a well built tranny). just my .02

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn, I am worried a little about this Trans, don't need it failing in BFE in the middle of the night with entire family w me and having to pay some out of state shop triple to fix it, whats the pricing on these built trannies?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think 7700 is the cheapest for a built tranny and everything you need to run it. The 68's are a lot more expensive than the 48's are to build...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have an '08 3500 with all deletes. I pull a 42' 5th wheel that weighs somewhere between 17-18K. I have my XRT set on 60hp for towing, a BG TCM tune & an ATS deep pan. The truck has 90K miles on it and the only problem I've had with the tranny is a small leak on the shifter seal on the side of the tranny. However you will notice that while towing that heavy that the TC will shudder very easily if you give it just a little too much throttle.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
quad racer, what programmer are you planning on running, i believe the SMARTY torque managment features has some assistance for you, what i mean is..... trq setting 1 ( i believe ) limits the amount of transfered power to stock torgue output, maybe slightly higher on large tunes, setting 2 increase by 200lbs/ft, and so on.

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy smokes $7700 !! I can't imagine parts and mods being that damn much to a trans we already have, Wow!! Well my 48le or whatever it is behind my 454 pulled it for 50,000 miles with no issues for 4 years lol, not near the power in front of it but I guess I know how to not abuse a trans lol so maybe this one will last for me?

How about some good quality synthetic fluid a huge cooler and a good cooling trans pan, help any or is it not a heat problem that kills them?

Planning on the Mini Maxx for the gauges but nothing set in stone yet, still learning.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
How about some good quality synthetic fluid a huge cooler and a good cooling trans pan, help any or is it not a heat problem that kills them?

The TC slipage is the culprit. Torque slipage = excessive heat = tranny failure

A huge cooler (or pipe in an extra cooler) and a deep pan will help, but it will not save your tranny if you add a programer. sorry to say but its true...been there and done that and dont want to be there again. Hopefully my 7200$ tranny from NADP will hold up!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The TC slipage is the culprit. Torque slipage = excessive heat = tranny failure
So replacing the TC with a better one could solve the issue before its an issue and kills it?

·
Salty Squid
769 Posts
Being that all Dodge is doing to get 100k out of their tranny with the 800ft/lb Cummins is a beefier torque converter, some new shift points and a transmission tune with a water cooled transmission cooler to boot.

I would think with Overdrive tuning and an additional transmission cooler I would imagine you'd be good for a little while.

·
Registered
506 Posts
:kaboom:I got almost 30k miles on my truck and beat the crap out of it I tow a 20k 5th wheel and run on the higher setting pulling the hills at speeds of 70-85 mph and no issues head studs are next for me I hit 1600 on my egts all the time I keep waiting for something to brake so I can get the built tranny and put a set of twins on

·
Premium Member
7,027 Posts
:kaboom:I got almost 30k miles on my truck and beat the crap out of it I tow a 20k 5th wheel and run on the higher setting pulling the hills at speeds of 70-85 mph and no issues head studs are next for me I hit 1600 on my egts all the time I keep waiting for something to brake so I can get the built tranny and put a set of twins on
It wont be long now.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The TCM tuning is a big part in why the tranny is bad. I got to drive with a guy today at ATS diesel who had the Co-Pilot on his 6.7 he also had the smarty TNT. He hammered that thing and no slipping or anything. Seems like the Co-pilot help A LOT! I cant wait to get mine

·
Registered
83 Posts
once you start towing with your new truck I think you will be amazed at how nice it is. I think if you keep any eye on the tranny temp, run good fluid with the larger pan and take your time starting out when towing you will be fine. Like mentioned the trans tune should help also. I have been leary about it also because $7700 or whatever is something I don't have right now for a built trans but after doing alot of reading I feel that is the best thing for the trans after adding a programmer and dpf delete. I am sure the co-pilot is just as good. Hopefully in a couple weeks I will have real world experience for you and not just alot of reading online:)

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
The smarty or the sc are a little safer. They both have 30hp tunes and don't make as much torque as the maxx. Think I heard something like 25% less torque on the smarty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts