Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stocker/s475 compounds and can only get a max of 50 psi. I have read other threads of people with same set up hitting up to 70 psi. Just trying to figure out why I can't seem to get more out of it. I still have the stock tranny and TC and can hit redline pretty fast. A guy I work with thinks my weak TC isn't loading the engine enough to build boost. Is this possible you think?

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
I have the stocker/s475 compounds and can only get a max of 50 psi. I have read other threads of people with same set up hitting up to 70 psi. Just trying to figure out why I can't seem to get more out of it. I still have the stock tranny and TC and can hit redline pretty fast. A guy I work with thinks my weak TC isn't loading the engine enough to build boost. Is this possible you think?
Yes. Slipping TC= more heat, less power to the ground, and finally not loading the engine enough. Say you have 60% load right now because your engine isn't working as hard with a slipping tranny, so you are only hitting 50PSI. Same thing applies to reving your engine in park, you might get .5psi of boost. Put it in drive and then you can start building boost without moving. Get a better transmission that will hold the power and you can actually use the power you have.

·
Premium Member
11,989 Posts
TWINS on a bone stock trans? for real?

·
Substation Operator
1,152 Posts
you said it your self, Stock trans and TC. Get yourself a good built transmission

·
Registered
453 Posts
wow twins and other mods on a stock tranny! they should use your truck on a dodge cummins commercial lol.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TWINS on a bone stock trans? for real?
Dude I know its amazing this thing is still going. My fluid isn't burnt it doesn't get real hot either I must have gotten the one tranny that wasn't built on a monday or friday. I have been talking to a local tranny guy who can redo my VB replace TC for a decent price so I just need to convince the wife to fix something thats not broke!!! BTW this truck still hauls A$$ even with the stock tranny and only 50 psi!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was thinking this made sense glad you guys agree on the problem. Hey TXAustin how much boost do you see? I know your turbos are bigger but i'm curious.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Like everyone said, get you a good built tranny. It will make all the difference.

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
Dude I know its amazing this thing is still going. My fluid isn't burnt it doesn't get real hot either I must have gotten the one tranny that wasn't built on a monday or friday. I have been talking to a local tranny guy who can redo my VB replace TC for a decent price so I just need to convince the wife to fix something thats not broke!!! BTW this truck still hauls A$$ even with the stock tranny and only 50 psi!
If you've talked to a trans guy and he only recommended a VB and TC for a slipping transmission, you need to check elsewhere. You're going to need a full rebuild plus upgrades.

I'd hate to see the clutch packs in your transmission.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you've talked to a trans guy and he only recommended a VB and TC for a slipping transmission, you need to check elsewhere. You're going to need a full rebuild plus upgrades.

:AGREE2: Put those parts only in your truck and you will be breaking shiz right away.... Input, flywhell etc....You cant break anything now because your tranny is slipping :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

No he's not just recomending a TC and VB he can do whatever but he said he can pull the pump and know if its fried or not and if not I could do the TC and VB on the cheap!!!

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
I was thinking this made sense glad you guys agree on the problem. Hey TXAustin how much boost do you see? I know your turbos are bigger but i'm curious.
I still have no clue. Isspro sent me a 0-60 guage when they should have sent me a 0-100 :banghead: That was two months ago and I am NOT paying those guys for a new gauge, they should just replace it.

Anywho, I can peg the 0-60 gauge within about 2 seconds of take off though. When it pegs at 60psi you can hear the S480 just about "mid way" spooled up. The set up I have could be ran up to 100psi if desired.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would call Jeff Garmon

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
No he's not just recomending a TC and VB he can do whatever but he said he can pull the pump and know if its fried or not and if not I could do the TC and VB on the cheap!!!
Pulling the pump won't indicate the condition of the OD sector.

If it were mine, I'd do a full rebuild. Since you've been slipping it, there's trash throughout the transmission. All that "trash" gets pumped into the clutch packs and embeds into the steels and frictions. You might be able to check the pan/VB, clutch packs and everything look ok. But it's tough to "clean" out everything.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I should just do the whole thing while its out!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts