Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new to the community and want to first thank you for welcoming me in.
I recently purchased a 99 cummins 5 speed. I bought it at auction and I have no clue what was done to the truck performance wise. I can see that the turbo, manifold and air intake have been upgraded. The truck dumps quite a bit of black smoke and I am wondering if the turbo would cause this or is that something you typically see with an injector upgrade? I have no idea if the injectors have been done but I suspect not only because the head studs are not done. IMO I cant see someone putting in injectors and larger turbo and not doing head studs... Anyways I thought I would ask you guys for some help.

Thanks
Jake

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Don’t make any assumptions on what you might think someone will do lol if you have time and don’t need the truck. You can pull an injector and check the size. A large turbo can cause black smoke. But that’s usually a case of too large to spool on the low end. Then when it lights it should clear up some smoke or all. But that depends on everything else. You need to do some digging and see what you actually have and explain the black smoke a little better.

Is there a tag on the turbo?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is all good advice, thank you.
I will pull an injector and have a look. where on the injector will I see the size?
I will go and have a look at the turbo for a tag and take a picture of it as well.

It had and Edge EZ on it that I pulled off and that seemed to help reduce the excessive smoke
I Also put a larger intercooler and piping along with a banks monster ram. The black smoke drastically was reduced.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Doubt there will be a marking on the injector. Either need to measure the holes or take it to a diesel shop that diesel with injectors and have them measured.

How bad is the black smoke? Does it change? Do you have any gauges for boost or egt?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not horrible, but it was definitely noticeable. I barley needed to hit the throttle hard it I could leave a huge cloud behind. But now after those few things I mentioned in my lest comment it is way better, I would really have to hit it hard to get a huge cloud now.
I took a couple pics of the turbo

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have some gauges, EGT, Boost (doesn't seem to be working), Trans temp, and fuel pressure
I don't have the truck registered yet so I haven't been driving it much to get a good idea of all the kinks that need to be ironed out.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Meant to be egt. Phone didn’t like it I guess. Why do you say boost gauge isn’t working? Should get the gauges working that will help too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh lol,
I think the gauge is stuck?
i have pulled the gauge out and everything is connected. I have followed the boost line and there are no kinks or anything but it doesn't read the boost...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Most//all aftermarket injector etch the size on the upper part of the nozzle. You have to take the injector apart to see it.

·
Vendor
8,459 Posts
174430 is a moderate upgrade it will pair well with 100HP injectors and a full size programmer like an adrenaline. If you choose to use the defuel setting on the adrenaline you can go bigger with the injectors like 150HP or 250HP if you plan on going bigger later (bigger turbo, compounds etc.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts