Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question says it all. I plan on putting on my HX 35 on the 89 and I was just trying to get something that fut right without cutting and fabbing.

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
The IC mounts on a set of brackets down low on the raditor support. There are two mounting bolts up towards the top of the IC. These are pal type nuts. That is the sheet metal type. These go into slots cut into the support also. Then you would need to cut the holes where the tubes come threw. The A/C condensor bolts onto the IC on the later trucks. I am not sure what the difference is on a early model.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
On my 89 the a/c condensor mounts to the core support. I think the core support and radiator are both diffrent on a 89 then the later factory i/c trucks. I am sure it will fit but you are gonna have to chop it up like I did putting in my powerstroke unit. The easyiest way would to find a donor truck with all stuff needed. core support, grill, radiator, shroud,thermostat water outlet, i/c, i/c pipes, and intake horn. I know it sounds like a pain..... It is. Don't know for sure as I have never poked my head under a factory first gen i/c truck.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The grille will need to be swapped to an I/C grille. There doesn't appear to be enough clearance behind a stock 89-90 grille if you have AC. The condensor leaves only 1" at each end and only about 2" at the center.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the condenser is being scrapped along with all a/c components. This will be a pure MUD truck. Air filter will be in th glove compartment. So I guess the question now is what is easier to install since both the cummins and powerchoke IC's have to be all fabbed to the trck it's going in?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
The A/C condensers make pretty good transmission coolers if you plumb them in.

Provided that you have an automatic transmission...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I wanted 3 inch cooler pipes so I went with the powerstroke. My concern with a mud truck would be keeping the cooler fins clean. She ain't gonna cool the air if it is all mud.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Put the cooler in the cab or behind the cab to keep the mud away.
I always put the cooler in the cab ---
Makes it easier to get to the beer :beer:beer
:rof:rof:rof:rof

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If its going to be a mud dragger I wouldn't even I/C it I would just fab up a 2.5 or 3" crossover

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If its going to be a mud dragger I wouldn't even I/C it I would just fab up a 2.5 or 3" crossover
What is the benefit of a crossover and what is it. Sounds like you plumb the air plenum on the head to the turbo?
I am planning on doing some bigger injectors, pump mods and Hx-35 would a crossover still be ok?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I was wondering about different locations for the IC. The air filter will be in the cab I guess the IC could be behind the seat and I could have a guy at a muffler shop bend some pipe to go under the truck and into the engine bay to connect to their 2 points. Not much room behind the seat it would have to go in the bed with an electric fan on it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If you need sustained power an intercooler will lower your exaust gas temp. A stock motor does ok with no intercooler at full power. With few mods you may be over limits at sustained full power runs. I don't know what extended cooler relocation pipes would do to turbo lag. You would have to pressure all that pipe before it got to your motor. Also there might be alot of restriction with all the bends. My boat I used to have had a water to air intercooler. It was cooled by the cooling system loop.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
What is the benefit of a crossover and what is it. Sounds like you plumb the air plenum on the head to the turbo?
I am planning on doing some bigger injectors, pump mods and Hx-35 would a crossover still be ok?

A crossover is a lot simpler and wont get plugged with mud. A crossover would be fine for a mud truck, like richie said if you need sustained power intercool it. Have you ever thought about a water to air i/c or W/M

I got a 2.5" crossover on my truck and it does get toastie after rippin through the gears

1 - 15 of 15 Posts