Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently was doing some wheeling and broke off some of of the threaded parts that stick off of the block that the bolts thread into after they go through the motor mount. Now my engine is sitting cocked sideways in the engine bay and I'm afraid to drive it. I've got more than one person I know willing to sell me a 1st gen 12 valve block if I need it but I'm not sure if my heads and everything else will fit and switch over from the 2nd gen to the 1st gen. Anybody have any input?

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
The only difference between a 1st and 2nd gen engine is the injection pump system and the pistons. The blocks and heads are the same if it is from an intercooled truck. The nonIC heads used a 9MM injector compared to the later 12 valves using a 7MM injector body. The 9MM injector bore heads were prone to cracking.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So everything else will fit over from the 2nd gen to the 1st gen as long as its intercooled?

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
The only difference is the pistons and the injection pump systems.

The older 9MM head could be used. You would just need adapter washers for the later 7MM injectors.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you're saying that my 2nd gen heads will bolt right up as long as the the 1st gen block was intercooled? Whats the difference in the pistons between the two?

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
The piston bowls are different.

The higher pressure p-pump had better atomization. So a different spray angle was used on the injector tips. The piston bowl was redsigned to have better use of the features the p-pump gave.

Sorry I forgot about my posts in this section.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if I was to do this I would be taking everything off the block I have now and putting it on the 1st gen block. So as long as I put my pistons in the 1st gen block would I be alright?

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
You would be fine. The other option is to have 1st gen tips installed on your injectors if you don't want to change out the pistons.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
You will need everything off the front of the p-pump engine. It is all bolt on. No big deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts