Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Ram 2500 6.7, 100% stock. I know pulling the DPF and the EGR will void my warranty. It's a toss up. I don't want to void the warranty, but I want better MPG's.
It's my daily commuter, I absolutely love my truck. We do a lot of home improvements and hauling. So I need a truck, it's not JUST a grocery getter! Here's the issue; Our daughter's school is about 17 miles away, mostly highway driving. My gas mileage has dropped significantly with the shorter highway trips, 14.8 MPG is the norm.
I've slowed down to about 60-65mph on the highway, around 1500-1600 RMPS. I've went up to 15.4 MPG's on average. To me time=money. I hate wasting the extra time to go the slower pace. But money=money. So paying $120+ a week for diesel is a pain.
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice/tricks, ect to up the MPG.

P.S. This is the wife. My truck, don't let him drive it.

·
Choot 'em Clay, Choot 'em
4,188 Posts
have you tried unplugging your egr? A lot of guys on here that dont want the deletes are goin this route. You just have to put up with a check engine light. On the other hand i can tell you that if you did do the deletes that you would never regret it and will more than likely not have to take the truck in for warranty work because you are eliminating the problems.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No we have not done any thing to the truck yet.
A thing I forgot to mention. We want to keep the engine brake.
We were told if we got taller tires it'd up our fuel economy.

·
4,188 Posts
You will have the engine brake as long as you have the stock turbo. The tires in essence will help being taller on a long highway run because it will lower your rpms a little bit. But it would take an awful long time to see them pay for themselves.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You will have the engine brake as long as you have the stock turbo. The tires in essence will help being taller on a long highway run because it will lower your rpms a little bit. But it would take an awful long time to see them pay for themselves.
Yeah, but they will also be heavier and make the truck stand a little taller into the wind. Many folks here see significant mpg loss with bigger tires. At steady speed the heavier tires probably don't make much difference but they certainly will for accelerating. The aerodynamics are the biggest mpg killer for our trucks though.

(aside: there used to be a very fancy (=expensive) high end racing bicycle wheel specially designed for a race called a pursuit which is at steady speed. The wheel had a sponge inside and was filled with water...as the bike got up to speed the water would be spun out to the rim and help to maintain an even speed. But I haven't seen them recently so maybe they didn't help?)

Reactions: Rambeaux67

·
4,188 Posts
Yeah, but they will also be heavier and make the truck stand a little taller into the wind. Many folks here see significant mpg loss with bigger tires. At steady speed the heavier tires probably don't make much difference but they certainly will for accelerating. The aerodynamics are the biggest mpg killer for our trucks though
I meant to add that to my statement but i got a lil sidetracked.

·
Registered
159 Posts
have you tried unplugging your egr? A lot of guys on here that dont want the deletes are goin this route. You just have to put up with a check engine light. On the other hand i can tell you that if you did do the deletes that you would never regret it and will more than likely not have to take the truck in for warranty work because you are eliminating the problems.
This is some good advice here. I unplugged the egr to begin with and realized about a 1.5 mpg increase and then went with the deletes later.

There are other things that you can do such as put on free-wheeling hubs (Dynatrac kits will come out this winter) and go less on the skinny pedal (woops - time is money). Best thing is the cheapest - unplug the egr!

Reactions: Rambeaux67

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
But if you have remote start by unpluging egr you will loose the remote start cause they are set to not run with low fuel or if there is a CEL on .atleast that is the way I understand it ???????

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
But if you have remote start by unpluging egr you will loose the remote start cause they are set to not run with low fuel or if there is a CEL on .atleast that is the way I understand it ???????
Thats correct. The truck wont keep running because of the cel when you use the remote start. Could just do it the old fashioned way..

·
4,188 Posts
Yeah I have absolutely no wait to start, although it doesnt get as cold in south louisiana as it does up north... runnin through the frosted grass in crocs and boxers works like a champ for me!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We do love the remote start. the O2sensor went out and we lost the remote start also.
They dealership said it had to much mud and dirt on it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I dont want to influence a voided warranty on anyone but once again. You will not have to worry bout goin to the dealer after deleting.
:stirpot:

H&S Performance would be the way to go I have been told by the shop here.
Also if I don't want a check engine light I need to get the computer?
Told it was a 4-6G's process.
Truck will run as if it's stock better hp/tq and better mpg.

BUT how much better is mpg?

I wounder if the dealership would keep the life time oil changes also,
wounder if I can sell back my extend warranty too.

·
4,188 Posts

I cant speak too much of H&S because i have never tried it so i have no personal experience but i hear they make an outstanding product. I personally am Smarty tuned and i daily drive my truck about 40 miles highway and 20 miles in city stop and go and i never hand calculate anything less than 18 mpg (im in the pedal everywhere i go too). As far as your oil changes and selling back the warranty i would contact the dealer, maybe go up there and talk to them and see what they will do for you. supposedly the one we have in baton rouge is very "mod" friendly but each dealer is different ya know. What exactly do you mean by 4-6 g's process?

·
MOOB ADMIRER!
2,443 Posts

Do you mean $4-6 thousand? If so, they are raking you over the coals on that one.

X

·
4,188 Posts
Thats what im wondering too!!! Get in touch with James at Rollin Smoke Diesel and he will get you what you need. All it take to install are simple hand tools and whether you go with a Smarty or H&S product it is very simple step by step instructions to load the tune. Just think of it as a honey do list for your husband!!:thumbsup::party018:

·
4,188 Posts
Dont know who yall are dealing with but i would DEF get a second opinion, at least on the tuner and deletes!!! All you NEED is a delete pipe and a hand held smarty or xrt... were lookin at what guys $900 on the high side!!! It will take about an hour if you drink a six pack of beer to install both.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just food for thought... assuming the deletes get you from 15 mpg to 17 mpg, it will take you 70,833 miles to pay off $2000 in upgrades at $3.60/gal. So if you don't plan to keep the truck forever... just pay for the extra fuel and keep the warranty.

Disclaimer: this calculation doesn't include time value of money, or an increasing diesel price. And it's only my opinion.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts