Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a quick question for you. Every once in a blue moon when I start my truck its shakes at idle. Ill get in, start it and you can noticably feel a difference in smoothness of idle. The thing is, it happens very intermittenly. It hasnt happened in like 2 months until last Sunday. It went away evetually and hasnt come back since.

Does anyone have any advice? It goes away while driving, but as soon as the truck comes down to idle speed you can def notice it shake more. Truck runs great, except my trans shuttle shifts from 2nd into 3rd. Other than that its great. I dont think its in my head, does anyone know what is up? The truck has 50k on it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By shake, I mean like a rocking back and forth more so than normal. Its wierd to try and describe it, but it happens. Anyone?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Gets like a rock going on.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
does your RPM's drop or raise? is this after the truck has been idling for a length of time or right after start up or what? notice any smoke when it does this?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shake like its going to die shake? or just a little hic-up?
Not like its going to die, because the idle never moves. Its always a steady 850, but just more noticable than the normal smooth idle. You can see my sirius radio on the windshield shake more. Its just so intermitten. Ill never know when its going to happen. What could I run through the truck to clean the injectors? When I got the truck it had 46000 on it and it came with documentation of an injector service, so it looks like they were clean somewhere between 0-46k.

What do you guys think?

·
Never Enough TQ
864 Posts
Maybe fuel filters? Do you notice any power loss since the "shakes" have been happining?

·
Never Enough TQ
864 Posts
tclappcummins, ya beat me to it! lol

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No smoke other than the puff at start up. It happens right when you start the truck, you can notice it right away. I havent changed the filter since I owned the truck. I was going to do them here shortly. No power loss either. Truck runs great and holds idle speed rock solid.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
what color is the puff when you start the truck? also I would start with changing out that fuel filter....

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
well white could be injector.... but I would start with changing the fuel filter and see if that changes anything..... may dump some diesel Klen or some kind of fuel treatment in it as well..... hopefully this will fix yoru problem.... but sounds to me like dirty fuel filter

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
go to the request a price section and tell the vendors that you are looking for a fuel filter for your 05... they will hook you up!

·
Registered
456 Posts
i got a 04 with 155k miles. it does exactly the same thing every now and then once in a blue moon it get a slightly more aggresive vibration at idle but as soon as you pull off it feels normal, usually does it when i am in a lot of stop and go traffic down here by the beach where i live there is a lot of traffic.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
My 07 will do the same thing every now and then also, and sometimes has a little hick up.. I have noticed a power loss or more so like driving into a head wind sorta feel, I also change my fuel fiter reguarlly at every other oil filter change or about 10k miles... but then sometimes it starts up sound a little different and runs like it has 1000hp.. but other times it acts as if it has only 10.... still haven't figured out why though.... I think its my tranny

·
Registered
456 Posts
since you experience power loss sounds like it might be your tranny, bighorn like you said. i think its my torque converter thats causing the shutter, may not be but a lot of people i have seen on here have similar shutter problems and nothing has happened so im not to worried.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 07 will do the same thing every now and then also, and sometimes has a little hick up.. I have noticed a power loss or more so like driving into a head wind sorta feel, I also change my fuel fiter reguarlly at every other oil filter change or about 10k miles... but then sometimes it starts up sound a little different and runs like it has 1000hp.. but other times it acts as if it has only 10.... still haven't figured out why though.... I think its my tranny
Yes my does the same, some times it feels sluggish and sometimes it pulls like an animal.power band on and off.even when I don't have no codes

1 - 20 of 25 Posts