Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Wichita area tech?

877 Views 10 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  12VRattler
Is there anyone around the wichita area that would be willing to help me diagnose a problem with my 96 2500 4x4? I am only getting 12 psi out of my turbo at WOT and it takes a bit to get there and that is with the waste gate plugged. I have tried pressure testing the system and such and haven't found any leaks that amount to much and could use a more knowledgeable hand on this rig if one is around!!
Thanks,
Mack
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Kansas Chapter President
1,252 Posts
Pull your air inlet tube off the front of your turbo and see if the comp wheel is turning while the engine is idling. If it is turning VERY slow than it's time for a new turbo or rebuild. Also where is your PSI reading coming from? Could be a leaky gasket, boot or IC.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up finding out my wastegate was stuck open, finally after a couple days of wrenching. It wasn't open much but apparently is doesn't take much. I thank you both for your prompt replies! Hope to see you at a future meet!!

· Kansas Chapter President
1,252 Posts
I ended up finding out my wastegate was stuck open, finally after a couple days of wrenching. It wasn't open much but apparently is doesn't take much. I thank you both for your prompt replies! Hope to see you at a future meet!!
That was also one of my guess but you said you had the waste gate plugged so I figured you already went over that. Glad to see it's fixed and thanks kscumminsdriver.:thumbsup:

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had it plugged but the spring in the actuator was broken aparently and would let the waste gate open under idle pressure even. It took me a bit to figure out that the waste gate actuator itself wasn't able to hold the waste gate shut even unplugged.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know I might take ya up on that some time. I would like to make sure that everything on my truck is up to par. I do not know if I am getting all the grunt out of this old beast that I can or if I have something else holding me back on it.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That sounds like fun, I wanted to know how to bump the timing but didn't want to attempt it without knowing what I am doing. I think I should get a 100 plate for it, that should be a bigger step up in the power department.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.