Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Registered
I know nothing.馃檮
If you had the head off why not pull the pan and do the rings and bearings also . just to be on the safe side?
If you have to pull the head and lift the engine to pull the pan, why not just pull the entire engine and do a proper rebuild, just to be on the really safe side?

Reactions: AdamRRT and Loki223

Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
I would be curious if you were to pull the injectors and look inside the bores. My guess is they blew a head gasket from adjusting the timing incorrectly with the smarty, did the top end and found they had blowby, so did the cheapest rebuild they could. From what they did though, I can't imagine it being an easy in frame, but possible I suppose. I'd be very suspicious of a truck with so many cheap suspension parts, I'd suspect they used cheap engine parts too unless they produced receipts for the engine parts

Premium Member
Probably broke some rings trying to run those injectors and box tuning. At 250k it was time to do rings and bearings anyway. Hopefully they did not set stock ring gap and fixed the thrust bearing issue that comes with stock bearings. Bad tuning and blew the HG and just bought into the needing studs because he has big power. If they got the hone done right and it doesn't use oil it should be good for a long time yet unless they hurt a rod with bad tuning. No sing of a tuner, did it come with one or ???? First thing I would do is dig into those injectors to see how bad\good they are.

Reactions: Loki223

Registered
Sound like they blew a head gasket, pulled head and decided to do in chassis overhaul鈥

That or they melted a piston from beating on it鈥 the world may never know.
Computer history might still have that info. 260,000? I bet a heck of alot more hours on it. It may have been for pulling sleds, since it had studs inserted. Only reason to do that is after or during pulls. And blown heads that happen frequently. I would be tempted to pull the engine and pull it apart. And look for old damage to block. Its a PITA to pull the head with studs inserted along with the other things, a magnaflux would be my goal. The person who did the upgrade were trying to double up on horsepower for some reason. I dont like the huge offset wheels either. Hardly no place to park it and a big issue going down a hwy. Geometry is screwed.

Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
Pan was off. How else would they have done rod bearings and rings?

Registered
I know nothing.馃檮
  • Haha
Reactions: Loki223 and AdamRRT

Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
Reactions: 4everlearning

Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
What鈥檚 that even mean?
That his tires are substantially less likely to destroy his paint, or fling rocks at other vehicles or pedestrians, and comply with the laws regarding coverage of tires or motorized vehicles

Registered
Kind of a douche way to criticize a guy鈥檚 new truck though.

Reactions: twildman

Registered
2007 Ram 3500 5.9, mostly stock
Imo the OP can be proud he has a clean 3rd gen, even if it might have a cheap lift and tires that stick out. If he wanted a perfect, hopefully no worries, no unknowns truck he would have bought new.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts